Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

First Thing You Must Do?

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by vegasmacker, May 10, 2016.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I get that regional thing, hence my point. But we're not going to seek out simply to seek out the regional equivalent of In-N-Out if on vacation in, say, New England. That is the part of the equation I don't understand. It's still all only fast food, better than McShitz of course, but never something we just hafta gotta do. (And we eat plenty of local color on the road so it's not a "snob" thing.)

2. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, like I said it's more of just the hype lacking context. Nobody ever says "InO/Shake Shack/Five Guys/etc. has a great burger for a fast food joint". It's always just "their burgers are so frickin good". If you heard the first one, you would think, well when I just want a quick cheap bite to eat, I'll have to give those a try. And if you went in expecting the fare that you get from that segment of the restaurant industry, you'd probably be pretty happy with the fare. However, when you get the second type of hype (which is 95%) people seem to go in thinking they're going to have some transcendent dining experience, or like they're about to sit down at SW for a meal, then they get solid food, but far below what their expectations were and are disappointed.

3. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    That's a consequence of a community with such diverse tastes, expectations and experiences. I don't hear a lot of seasoned travelers asking the "best" question often because they know it is all about context. In golf -- my obvious weakness -- I try to speak to favorite or attributes not best. I had to deal with that very idea in several of my books in which I didn't really favor "best" or hierarchies but put them in because many like that type of thing.

And of course folks just get excited when sharing, particularly in connection with something they might have a bit of difficulty seeing in clear light ... the Vegas addiction thing where EVERYTHING is the greatest ever and anywhere.

4. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The very-first thing I do is head outside of baggage-claim to smoke a cigarette. I only smoke in Vegas, so that first one has become something of a ritual for me, while waiting for my luggage to appear.
    Once I'm at the hotel, I set the thermostat to 65 or so & unpack... then, it's off to the races.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vegasmacker

vegasmacker
    Expand Collapse
    VP Bar Degenerate
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    It's weird I can smoke like a chimney while drinking in Vegas, then want to throw the pack in garbage the next morning. I only smoke in Vegas or when I am when I drinking heavily, which may be a shock to some, but really doesn't happen a lot outside Vegas or Mexico.

6. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    if you only smoke when you drink heavily, then you must be a chain smoker! :ROFLMAO:

7. vegasmacker

vegasmacker
    Expand Collapse
    VP Bar Degenerate
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    As much as most people would think that I am a raging alcoholic. Truth is I only get homeless drunk on adult vacations lol.

@Gaggles and I have been known to tie one on around are hometown every once in a while though

• Like Like x 1
  8. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    on every day that ends in a "Y" ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  9. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I don't rent a car so lately been hitting the packie in the airport. Its expensive but not outrageous and super convenient.

10. bayoubengal

bayoubengal
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I love getting the call or text from the limo driver. It's a personal challenge to finish the bottle of champagne before I get to the hotel. I always attempt to check into my room even if I'm early. If not, it's off to the nearest video poker bar.

• Like Like x 1