Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

How much to risk so that "it matters"?

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by Silvered, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Silvered

Silvered
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I think this is the key question. When I have a downswing, I lose my appetite for playing. And I lose my appetite to talk gambling. I lost 2 out of 3 trips last fall, and took a 7 month break to "reset".

If you are skilled at poker, making it a positive - expectation game, what draws you to gamble in other games?

2. Tibs

Tibs
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I send part of my pay to my private account (Wife knows about it, but we both have one for fun and she does same for her account).

Whatever is in there next trip goes with me, and if I bring back any then great. If not, well there better be a story, a few good stories and possibly a trip to the clinic for a shot. I also better bring back something of perceived value. She gets a gift, period. She has access to everything and if she's looking great. Don't care.

We don't share how much we have in those accounts with each other but we know how to get into them if we need to. Everything else is in our joint account and we pay our bills, buy stuff, whatever we really want with that. We only use our fun accounts when we really don't want the other to know we bought something or we really don't want to ask the other if they mind. After 20+ years of marriage its worked great.

I never ever worry about this money and if I lose it all I'm pissed but not hurting. Pissed because I wanted to win of course.

If you really want to be happy and not fight or worry, set up a small allotment and build it up. When it gets to a certain level buy stuff, usually around the holidays. This works for just about any income level and gambling level. Just make sure you pay yourself (you will retire one day) and your bills before you start stashing things away and it keeps it relative to your income level.