Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

WTF the last week has sucked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valgal, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I guess I have my health. Maybe -- but it's just costing me a small fortune. The Affordable Health Care Act sucks. Sorry for any fans of it but I am jumping through hoops and paying out the ass for my crappy coverage. My deductible has gone from $1500 to $6000. My premiums have doubled. My health score is less than 85 so I have to goose step to my doctor's plan. I paid $135 for labs drawn at my hospital. I did a quick draw and paid cash. If my doctor ordered it and I used our lab it would cost me at least $600- because I have not reached my deductible. If I need a CT or MRI it is cheaper for me to pay cash at a stand alone center than try and get my insurance to pay for it. If I use any hospital other than my own it only pays 50%. If I go to another ER and it is coded nonemergent it pays nothing. At an HR meeting we were told if we traveled out of town we better be dying if we use an ER.

Back to the last week sucking. I had my mammogram this week. Guys will never understand. I have implants--a gift from the husband several years ago-- (thanks honey) There is a special painful trick the tech does to "walk" the implant up in front of the breast tissue so they get good images. My doctor has been after me for a few years about a colonoscopy. So I got that scheduled next month. My doctor now has me at his mercy because if he doesn't sign off on my wellness plan my rates go up even more- which is why I got my Mammogram done and why I finally scheduled the fucking colonoscopy. Nothing about my plan is affordable.

To top things off not only am I running around getting labs, mammos etc I have been running around primping and prepping for Vegas trip in 4 days. I got my mani/pedi and eyebrow wax and the girl told me I needed to have my Sideburns waxed. What the hell???? I do not have facial hair. So I of course subjected myself to the additional waxing.

Ok I have one hair on my chin that I have to pluck. It has been there for over 30 years. I have instructed my family and friends that if I am ever in a coma they better pluck that hair. Now I have to get someone to take care of my sideburns. The clicker -- I told my husband about the insult bestowed upon me when I got home and he said yes I had old lady fuzz growing on the sides. Part of our marital agreement is that we spider monkey each other and pick the stray hairs, bugs, dandruff etc. off each other. I check him for nasty ear hair, Wookie neck hair that creeps up the collar of his shirt and wooly eyebrows. He is supposed to alert me for anything resembling man hair on my face. His response was if he told me I would just get mad. I am so going to let those hairs in his ears grow wild--payback is a bitch.

Alas as I prepare for our trip to Vegas-a mighty frugal one since we had to pay $2600 additional income tax this year-- rat bastards- the many many thousands of $$ I paid in wasn't enough--I worked mega overtime 120 hours in 2 weeks. Six 12 hour shifts in a row just to have a little spending money.

I bought a shiny new carry on bag for under the seat to lessen my pain. The husband told me it looked like a Peggy Bundy bag. Great I look like Al Bundy dressed up as Peggy. I would probably be crying if I wasn't going to Vegas this Sunday.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

The Bundy bag. If you see someone who looks like Al playing VP at TI it is probably me- stop and say hello.

• Like Like x 2
  2. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    The Chairman
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    You realize the public purse comes from the public. So it's not free to anyone, everyone is paying for it.

And as far as the ACA, I have no insurance coverage now because my new plan was going to cost 5x the old one, which I've been paying for for 10 years and never used once.

Not a chance I'm paying $7200/yr for shitty coverage that I likely won't use.

So I haven't decided what to do long term because there are no good options.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. TriggerMN

TriggerMN
    Expand Collapse
    The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Vegas:
    Two people in my immediate family lost their jobs directly due to Obamacare. This obviously makes me lean in one direction as well. :thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    It's interesting to see different perspectives on the ACA.

5. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits

Trips to Vegas:
    Actually, I didn't mean that to be snide... as I realize it could be taken that way. My perspective is quite different so it's interesting to see what others think and have experienced first-hand.

I do government consulting. In that line of business, the people executing the contracts are the equity of the company. If you don't have the right people, you can't win new contracts or execute the ones you have. So, most companies pay relatively the same (depending exp, education, contacts, etc) and the real delta between companies are the benefits.

Long story short, in my line of work, healthcare benefits won't ever suck. I had one former employer hire a former commercial line of business president to become the new government line of business president when the current one retired. His first action was to cut cost, i.e., what he saw as "fat" employee benefits. The net result of which was a mass-exodus of talent and some very happy competitors. Needless to say, that company lost all of its major contracts and has been completely gutted. Unfortunately, he had a massive heart-attack before he could see the effort through to a complete dismantling, but he effectively ended the company. I think they still have 6 or so employees and one or two very small long-term support contracts (from 75ish employees).

I've seen very little change to my personal healthcare coverage/costs over the last few years. They've gone up slightly (I think I pay about $70/month), but I have a zero deductible and I'm pretty happy with it (I'm sure my employer is paying heavily for it though).

I just never hear the horror stories about what other people experience so it's interesting to me.

6. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits

Trips to Vegas:
    I readily acknowledge that my situation may be somewhat unique or at least that I'm fortunate enough to work in an industry where I don't have to worry about it.

But, I was also unaware that it had gotten that bad for most people.

7. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    of course it got bad - everyone predicted it would be bad, but nobody would listen. Everyone is so far up this administration's ass that they cannot see reality. I've never seen the liberal media give so many hall passes to a sitting President before. Things that previous President's would get railed for, don't even make media coverage any more.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Just wait until Hillary is there. Might as well do the coronation right now. Unless the GOP pulls some lucky rabbit out of its arse at a contested primary -- and Cruz getting the nod is just arse not lucky from the electability perspective -- y'all will wish Bill had been given the chance to continue.

Not taking sides, just saying how the vote is going to go down.

9. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits

Trips to Vegas:
    I just can't see how the GOP puts someone in office as fractured as the party has become.

10. JaxxLV

JaxxLV
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The kicker is, the people that were uninsured are still uninsured (although they can go to the ER and probably qualify for medicaid). Their kids are absolutely taken care of by the under 17yo "free" health plans most states have. The " responsible middle class" have even less discretionary money to save then ever before. Why you ask? As noted above HDP costing +$1200/month for a family coupled with $6K-$10K deductibles. Families making median income in this country paying +$20K/yr for healthcare b/c of ACA. This isn't even great coverage, it's bad to average. The employers that employ most of the middle class can't absorb the rampant cost increase without passing it along to their employees.

How anyone still on board with ACA and this Administration and contemplating voting for more of the same or worse in the upcoming election is beyond me. We as a country have gotten so far away from what this country was founded on, so worried about kowtowing to every person or group that feels like they are entitled to be getting what people have worked for over 200 years. All we have to do is look around at other countries who try to be everything to everybody-they are mired in stagnation with a group of young adults with no employment prospects, which impacts the country as a whole as time goes on...

• Like Like x 1