Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Joe, Jun 13, 2016.

1. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Honestly, I can't recall ever seeing that. It's possible that it's because I turned off that prompt a long time ago -- I'm fine photos opening in the Windows viewer, but I want my PDFs to open in Acrobat, music files to open in MediaMonkey, etc. Anyway, I can't think of any downside to having files open in non-Microsoft programs (unless you're talking things like .msi installers, but I doubt you're trying to open those in some other way).

The app/program thing drives me kind of crazy, but I suppose that's just how people think of things now. You don't have "programs" for your phone or tablet, you have "apps", so I guess computers should be the same? If you need me, I'll be off running things from the command prompt...

2. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Fair enough! I was more thinking of the distinction between "apps" as the word is used today (which almost exclusively refers to phone/tablet functions) as opposed to "applications" (which I associate with desktop/laptop computers). I just find it interesting that Microsoft is now asking people to install "apps" on their computers.

3. Joe

Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Used to live in Vegas
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Uninstalled 10 today. Got fed up with the hang-ups, programs not opening, the entire system just not responding. Reverted back to 7 and my only problem so far is when I go to the start menu for Excel or Word, it no longer shows me the items pinned to it it. That's a PIA. It always did before.

4. Joe

Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Used to live in Vegas

Trips to Vegas:
    3.6 G processor with 8 M of Ram, so I don't think that was it. No problems with Win7.

5. Joe

Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Used to live in Vegas

Trips to Vegas:
    OK, figured that out. I had to go in and delete several files and then rebuild the pinned list.

6. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Win7 is their best OS since XP.
    They can throw annoying pop-ups at me forever and I will never upgrade.
    NOTE: One must be very careful when DLing MS updates to Win7. Never allow "automatic updates" and also - be very selective about the ones you allow.
    I now google all of them before allowing them, just to be sure they're actual updates and not just another sneaky way for MS to make 10 seem inevitable.

7. emelina

emelina
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Skipped Windows 7 and 8. Went from Vista to 8.1 and now 10. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade from 8.1, that was an interface from the depths of hell