Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Why Don't People Participate?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I see many viewers read the posts, why don't they participate and get involved and respond to threads and posts.? I don't see where there is anything to fear or be intimidated about.

2. RickM

RickM
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Simple really, I think. 2 reasons. 1 - some people are intimidated and afraid that they will be ridiculed for whatever they say, not specific to here but on any message board. 2 - I read a lot of posts relating to things I know nothing about but just like to read/learn about things. For example, I read a lot of the poker comments but I stink at poker (actually to get to the stink level I would have to improve a lot) so I really have nothing to add, but I like to read what others have to say about it. Same with the hookers and blow posts, I have never done blow nor have I done hookers but like to read what people have to say but really don't have much to add.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Clarkgriswald

Clarkgriswald
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I totally agree with you RickM. I am not a huge drinker or going to crazy parties but I like to read about them! Plus if you gave a group of people that all know each other really well you (or at least I do) feel it would be hard to be part of that group and not feel like the other guy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I'll throw out a couple more possible reasons. Sometimes a thread is more a FYI.....example... Caesar's Seahorse lounge closed. Another reason is the thread title may not really be indicative of the thread content.

#4 Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TBONE3336

TBONE3336
    Expand Collapse
    This space for rent.
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I agree with Rick and Clark... I was on the other board and several other boards not Vegas related, (horrors I know :) ) for many years and I think I had like 10 posts. Until I read so many great trip reports on Vegas Boards and Cruise Boards that I felt I needed to give back so did my first live trip report, and it got many people talking about the subjects in my report and made it easier to post and helped open me up a bit more.

I still have lots of down time between trips where I do not have much to say or add to a discussion and just peruse or add a like ( which is a great add on here at VB). I also agree it can be intimidating to some when you see some of the back and forth when people take things posted the wrong way and or some people just do not handle people disagreed with them well so they do not post possibly due to that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:

Yes it can be intimidating posting or starting a new thread where many people seem to know each other really well, I somewhat agree.

But if everyone 100% followed that logic then it would just be that exclusive group communicating........... I'm not a regular either, but I say what the heck, maybe in a year or so I'll be more regular and a larger part of the team...This is a web site about las vegas not life and death situations..

• Like Like x 4
  7. jonnyvegas

jonnyvegas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Sometime I post a lot. Sometime I just lurk for weeks. It depends on my mood. 99+% of the people on this board seem like good people. With that said, I think everyone appreciates participation. If you are scared, get a dog. We all love Vegas. Let's discuss it.

#7 Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Bloobird

Bloobird
    Expand Collapse

As one of the lurkers, I enjoy living vicariously through the trip reports of others, but I only get to Vegas every 18 months or so, so don't have much to add.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    It's easy to post when you develop a mindset of not caring what other people think.

10. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Are you off your meds again?

• Like Like x 3