Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Why do we ask if you are up or down gambling?

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by ken2v, May 18, 2016.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I wonder why we ask this question? And I am not being critical of the OP, not whatsoever. But do folks who fish or play golf or cruise around in a palace of an RV sit around and ask their kindred peers, "Are you up or down as a result of this thing you so like to do?"

2. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    and that's why gambling is better than all those things.

they all cost money regardless.

with gambling, you can do what you enjoy doing and they end up paying you for it!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. vegasmeister

vegasmeister
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

The reason I asked this question is because inquiring minds want to know (at least my inquiring mind). And I appreciate everyone that has been willing to share their story/experience since it is personal to them.

That being said, I am also curious how much people spend on golf, travel/vacations, and other expensive hobbies that you mentioned on a yearly basis.

4. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

I think it is a mentality thing. We bought a boat for recreational purposes a couple of years ago. We use it the most now to go out crabbing in the Sound in the summer. We joke around that we get 'free' crab. Of course you don't count the boat payment, storage payment, insurance, gas, equipment, bait, etc. We just get 'free' crab in the summer.

5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    And that's why I stressed I wasn't being critical, of course it's an interesting inquiry, as are the others. I also think for some people the comps coming back are used to salve a bruised psyche.

We spend gobs on travel, golf, wine, good food. That living well stuff is by FAR our largest monthly expense. We have "normal" cars, no consumer debt past the (easily manageable) mortgage, no kids or pets. That helps come play time.

"'Free' crab" ... priceless. :thumbsup: Love it!

A friend just shits when I tell him what I pay for golf or wine. Then I ask him about the boat or the RV that gets used about as often as Trump's intellect and Hilary's integrity and he says, "That's different."

• Like Like x 3
    • Haha Haha x 2
  6. thefish2010

thefish2010
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I think that people ask the question because as gamblers we want to believe that it's possible to win, even if we intellectually know that it's not. There is that "someone, somewhere, has to have beaten them" thought that creeps up sometimes. Unfortunately, as the thread showed, people just don't win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hobofrank

Hobofrank
    Expand Collapse
    Prime Minister of Idiocracy
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    but in answer to your question?
    if we spent on other hobbies, (travel, sports, photography..etc)
    nobody in our regular lives would bat an eye.

Gambling however is somehow right next to brothels in seediness and subsequent moral and intellectual "judgement-iness"
    so it's natural to check-in with other like minded fans of a negative expectation hobby that your friends, family and coworkers would be aghast at.

also it's a check if you suck at gambling compared to others

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I just hate it when a certain woman I work with asks me every F'n trip.First thing out of her mouth is 'So Did you come home with money? (With a demeaning tone to it)
    I have the same response for years.'Yes I always come home with money"...And this woman is a relentless scratch-off lottery ticket player and over the top when lotto jackpots get large..I do not consider her a gambler but an 'outsider'

I ask people who go to Disney or even Vegas for that matter 'Good trip?' Just happened last week to a newbie.Not once did I ask did she even gamble,just where they stayed etc.
    Shit even my gambling buddy we just ask each other How you making out?.No shame telling him I'm freaking down $500 and share details of how.or visa-versa..

9. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Unless you hit some huge progressive slot jackpot or he a massive heater at the tables I'd assume almost all are down life time.. Lol my first 5 years of gaming I was well in the black, but I used a big chunk of my gambling bankroll to pay for wedding related expenses and since I got married 5 years ago I'm certainly in the red gaming. I used to go much more often and be willing to walk away a very modest winner, now that I don't get to go more often I'm more looking for a home run which doesn't happen as often..

10. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Steve Wynn answers the question, Start at 3:00

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

• Like Like x 3