Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Why caddies??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Jul 22, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Please DO NOT take this the wrong way, it is not meant to be a joke or any kind of pun whatsoever against those that play golf.

I don't understand why a golfer would need a caddy? I have engaged in all sorts of sports such as fishing of all types from a lake, to a river to intercostal to boating to offshore. Offshore, yes--more than one person on the boat and at the most if the fisherman has a several hundred pounder (anything) on the hook, he might have someone lend him a hand. Dirt bikes, go carts, dune buggies, racing of all types (non pro), mountain biking. I have raced numerous items over the years, never had a 'crew' or an 'assistant'. Pit help, mechanic, transporter, etc., always everything performed by 'myself'.
    All kinds of other sports and hobbies.

Never had to hire anyone or pay one to help, cater to me, or assist me in the pursuit of something in the way of hobbies or sports. I just don't see the need for someone to walk along side the golfer and hand him or her a 3 pound stick? I don't see the need for the golfer to have someone drive the golf cart. I don't see the need for the golfer to have the caddy pull the bag around. Now, if the golfer was disabled or something of the likes, sure---not a question. But otherwise, just do see it.

I can only assume the golfers are 'unsure' of themselves and the caddies make the decision, possibly? Or perhaps, it is a status symbol? The only other reason to me would be, the golfers have to reserve every single bit of their energy and related reserves of power to swing the club throughout the game. Because the rest of the game is not at all strenuous.

Again, this is in no-way whatsoever an attempt to belittle or accuse a golfer of anything. I just always wondered why a full grown, perfectly healthy person would need another person to tag along and hand them something or pull their cart?

I just have a feeling this thread will once again bring out some wonderful comments about my lack of understanding anything or everything.

#1 Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Golfers don't need caddies. There are some courses where it's not an option and you must have one to play there though. I feel they can add to the experience in certain situations. I played pebble beach last year and used a caddy. He provided valuable guidance and insight throughout the round. It made the experience more enjoyable in my opinion.

They do a lot more than carry the clubs around.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Golfers do not need caddies. Most golfers do not use caddies most places. Some pricey courses still offer them, and it as much a nod to tradition and a mark of luxury as anything truly 'needed'.

Professionals use caddies, and some of the fancier courses out there provide caddies.

For professionals, it is a near necessity. The player is not allowed to use a golf cart, nor a GPS or rangefinder. The caddie goes through the course in advance and maps out the yardages between any number of given points, which will help the player make club decisions. They carry the bag, which you could argue is not necessary for younger golfers, but some events might require more than 18 holes in a day, and some of these courses are quite hilly. The caddie also can help read putts and do crowd control. They know their player's game to the point that they know what shots they hit and how far, so they can suggest shots. They can also keep the pace of play moving as they are cleaning clubs, raking bunkers, repairing ball marks and tending flags.

For amateurs at fancy courses, the main benefit of a caddy is local knowledge. Some shots in this game are blind. If you are playing a course for a first time you can have no idea where to aim. A caddy can help with that, giving you a landmark to aim for, and also other little quirks of the course. How far certain things are, how putts break, areas of the hole to be avoided at all costs.

#3 Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    For me personally, I play much better when I walk vs riding in a cart. Walking helps me stay loose and flexible. I also feel like it keeps me in touch with the course (weird I know, but just a feeling I get).

I don't necessarily need a caddy to physically carry the bag, but it certainly helps. Their real value comes into play when reading greens and helping with judgment calls. Of course ranking the bunkers, pulling pins, washing balls, etc... Are all helpful as well. Not necessary, but helpful.

I grew up working at a country club and started as a caddy when I was 14. Still one of the most fun jobs I've ever had.

I had a regular I'd hump for every Saturday and Sunday - big gambler. We're on 17 and he was down big after the front side and kept pressing the bet. By 17, we're up to around $5k per hole. The 17th has a creek running down the right side and then trees around the back and sides of the green. He slices one on the other side of the creek. Walking off the tee box, he goes right and walks up the other side of the creek (where his ball is) and I walk down the fairway so I can get him yardage and keep an eye on his ball since he wouldn't be able to see it land because of the trees. I tell him the yardage from the fairway and he says throw me the 7. I was thinking that 6 iron would have been perfect, so say "you sure? Seems like a 6 to me". He's pissed because he's down a good chunk of change and just sliced a drive into the middle of nowhere so he says "yeah throw me the fucking 7". I look at it again and just know the 6 is the right club so I throw the 6 across the creek. He grabs the club without looking and rips it - perfect shot, lands a foot from the hole and sticks.

He asks me about the ball and I calmly say "well you're on, see you up there". He continues to walk up the other side and around and I meet him at the green. He's got a big grin when he finally gets to the green and sees his 1' birdie putt (birdies pay double). As I'm handing him the putter and grabbing the iron from him I say "hell of a 6 iron from out there boss". He looks at the club and looks back up at me and says "good call kid". So he goes to mark his ball and I'm all happy/relieved about my ballsy move paying off. Well instead of rolling me the ball (for me to wash), he tossed it at me and hits me square in the nuts. As I'm keeled over I hear him say "don't ever do that shit again".

He went on to make birdie, and then birdied 18 as well for +$20k on the last 2 holes.

My tip that day funded about 50% of my first car.

• Like Like x 4
  5. natedog666

natedog666
    Expand Collapse
    17 and 20
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Platinum Linker

For those that play during the summer in Vegas, a caddy and a cart is more of a necessity. Just too dang hot to be lugging around clubs and walking!

6. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Sheer honesty there! Love it. Personally, I never got past putt-putt mini golf. I was all set to buy a set of clubs a few months back, but lack of direction and time pushed those plans into the gutter. I'm heading out to a mini putt-putt course to see what I can do tonight!

7. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Never envisioned, never.

8. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

You're looking at it the wrong way and most of your comparisons are way off. Think of it more like a hunting or fishing guide. If you're going to play a course that you've never played before, and therefore you've never seen, having somebody who knows the course layout and provide some insight of trouble to avoid and what each hole does is very helpful. You could certainly just play (and 95% of golfers don't use caddies as the courses don't even offer them) and wing it, but you won't shoot as well, and it's probably more enjoyable if you have some idea of what the course does since you can't usually see the entire hole from the tee.

In the same regard you could go out west on an unguided hunt or fishing trip. I mean, who needs a guide if you've hunted or fished before? However, having a guide will give you someone who knows the area, knows where you should go, and can give you some insight on the terrain and techniques that you'll need to have a successful hunt or catch some fish. They certainly aren't shooting your Elk or reeling in your salmon, (just like a caddy isn't hitting the shots for a golfer) but they are making your trip more enjoyable by providing you some knowledge that you wouldn't have otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1