Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

What's in the golf bag?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Nah! As Tom Watson once said, "A well-struck shot is impervious to the wind." I guess Tom and I have different understandings of "impervious"

Isn't the #1 Bandon tip known as leaving the sw in the bag and chipping with a hybrid?!?

2. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm glad you mentioned 'a bit' into your head - that softens the feeling that I was actually feeling. Oh, trust me, it was full blown psyched out mind warpingly embedded in my brain. When you are losing 25% distance with pathetic pull - push fades and start to enjoy the scenery only, then all is good!

The hooded part was evident, not because of the wind, but mainly because of over-compensation. But parred the last 4 holes when I 'gave up'!

3. dawgfan11

dawgfan11
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    A bit late to the party on this but love all the talk

Just picked up the 4-A Taylormade RS1 Irons this year and love them through the first 5 rounds so far.
    Taylormade Aeroburner Driver
    3W and 5W Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0
    Tom Watson Adams wedges
    Generic putter i've had for years

I play to a 18 Handicap right now but i'm slowly improving. The new irons are the first stiff shafts i've played with and I may have to switch my driver/woods as well.

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Welcome to the party!

Remember, if you start tinkering at the long end of the bag, shaft is not an independent variable.

5. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I have not bought new clubs in almost 10 years. I just played golf for the first time in over a year due to reaggravating an old rotator cuff injury. The injury required surgery. I'm looking to replace my driver and 3W so any recommendations would be welcomed as I haven't really been keeping track of what are the better products on market. I love my Ping irons so I won't be changing them anytime soon. I'm a lefty who on a good day hits the driver 275.

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    If you can hit a driver that far then you are among a small, select portion of the golfing populace. Good on ya!!!

Find a demo event where you can beat stuff from multiple OEMs. That I might think my Bridgestone is the best thing since sex likely isn't relevant to others. Head designs, adjustability, a jillion shaft offerings, no universality at all to concepts like "stiff" and "regular" ... plus it's just fun to abuse stuff. Have fun!

7. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Good idea. I'm an old baseball player so distance has never been the issue but hitting my driver consistently straight has been my biggest problem, although I have gotten better with age. I will also check out steel shafts.

8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    What's your swing speed?

If you are that fast you definitely need steel in your irons. I still haven't found a graphite iron shaft -- even in "heavy" configuration -- that I liked.

9. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    It has been a long time since I had my swing speed checked. I was at a golf academy in Florida and I think it was around 104-105. My guess with age and injuries it is now around 100 or in the high 90s. Because of work, travel and my injury, I haven't had much time to golf in the last couple of years. This summer I will finally get to play again.

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I was just curious because as we've talked about here and at VMB quite a few times, there is a lot of wannabe mythology surrounding our golf games. It takes a 106 mph swing with perfect contact to hit a 270 yard drive in normal conditions. The LPGA average is about 96 MPH and 252 yards ... again, with perfect impact. The typical male recreational golfer hits drives in the 210-220 yard range. Ball speed or smash factor (contact efficiency) is what it is all about. That's why instructors are always touting slow down, hit it on the screws.