Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

What's in the golf bag?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Callaway Apex CF 16 irons went in last fall, and they are gonna stay. 4-A and then I ordered a 3i as they are so easy to hit. Guess I better take the PINGs down to the First Tee.

Cleveland 54* and Vokey 58*, soon to be replaced.

I benched the Cobra Fly-Z driver last year in favor of a "dinosaur" Bridgestone J40.

Putter remains my trusty PING Anser 4, though I have a custom Kenny Giannini version of that model that weighs a ton so is great when the greens get sticky.

Adams strong 4w is more for show than actual use.

As Mike knows, the hybrid is essential for the green surrounds at places like Bandon. But I found one I actually can hit so the new Titleist H2 is on the way.

SunMountain Swift X carry/stand bag and a PING Sunday bag for when I'm really lazy.

Ball is the B330 Tour or ProV1x.

Shoes are cleatless and minimalist, various brands.

Tags:
  2. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    in my case, it's bags, plural. just upgraded everything last year and got a second set, so I don't have to lug my clubs to Vegas and back 20 times a year.

Titleist 915D3 8.5*, D4 setting (+0.75* loft), Aldila Rogue 95 MSI 70-3.0-X shaft
    Titleist 915F 16.5*, A1 setting, Diamana D+80 x5ct X shaft
    Titleist 915H 21*, A1 setting, Diamana D+90 HY S shaft
    Mizuno MP-15 irons, 3-PW, S-300 shafts, standard lie/loft/length
    Cleveland 588RTX, 54* and 60* gunmetal finish, replaced every year

in Vegas, I also have a Titleist Vokey SM5 58*, bent to 57*. since there's no 14 club rule in those tourneys, I keep that on hand in case I get caught in between clubs at the crucial moment.

David Benyamine (poker player) has 2 bags out there one is full with just a bunch of wedges with different lofts and stuff, so he can just pick the one that goes the exact distance he needs.

original Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can Putter in both sets. the only difference is I've had my original putter for about 20 years and it was custom chrome-plated by Scotty back in Carlsbad in the days when everybody knew somebody who worked at all the big clubmakers and you could get anything you wanted. today they keep everything so damn tight and I can't find anyone who knows anyone who can get him to do it to my new one (even had a tour player try).

Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grips throughout.

Pro V1 (black) always. don't like the red.

3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Let's see.............cigars, cigar cutter, sunscreen, Jellys' phone #....................

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Jelly would rock your world, old man. lol

Guess I forgot a few details, thanks shifter for the reminder.

Lamkin UTx cord grips. Since moving near-coast and away from the desert, I've been experimenting with a number of grips, and these seem to be the choice after a long run with New Decades. I never wear a glove and I like cord, but standard cord is too harsh with this weather. We also have more moisture and temps aren't as high, so I need a somewhat softer feel, but the Winn products were too mushy.

Made a paradigm shift with the shafts in the irons, going from somewhat heavy tour-flighted KBS to a higher-launch and lighter DG XP95 S300. The Callaway guys said over and over -- "Don't worry about it, don't think about it" -- and they were correct. It all seems backwards but I flight the ball better (as high) with a better traj. And they can go both ways ... both intended and not, of course. lol

Specs are all back to standard, too.

Driver shaft is a Project X 5.5.

I tend no to hit a lot of partial shots with my wedges so the new ones will be built with the XP but progressing to a slightly heavier version, probably the 105s.

5. Red&BlackSmoke

Red&BlackSmoke
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

This thread has me wanting to schedule a fitting right after tax season and when we get back from Vegas!!

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I am VERY impressed with what PING, Callaway and Titleist brought to the market this year. And for a once-grand brand rendered somewhat obsolete, Wilson.

7. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:

Great bag. I played Mizuno MP-32s for the better part of my life. Buttery soft.

8. davis646

davis646
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I have a bit of everything in my bag.

- TItleist AP2 714's 4-PW Irons w/ standard lofts/lies/grips etc
    - Mizuno wedges that I switched to last year and love but can't remember the model,
    - Taylormade SLDR 5 wood,
    - Taylormade R15 Driver with extra stiff shaft,
    - Odyssey Sabertooth putter. Had 2 or 3 other since buying this one but I keep going back,
    - ProV1's or Bridgestone Tour B330 golf balls

I always have a wide assortment of gloves, hats, towels, sunscreen, etc. I always make sure to have a flask of rum and an extra lighter.

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    lol. As the lead designer for one of the leading club companies told me yesterday: "Feel or sound? All sound. A tactile differentiation between forged and cast? Imperceptible. One of those last great myths of golf."

But, dammit, my Apex do feel buttery compared to my PINGs!!!

I've had a couple sets of Mizunos. I'm always a fan.

10. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    He is probably on to something. Some of the new cast Ping products feel great.