Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Jul 29, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Okay, so one of your contacts on a personal level (Non-Business) passes away, family-friend-close 'other', etc. Do you delete him/her from your email and your phone? Or do you keep for sentimental reasons?

I have generally deleted the few when that has happened, except for one from my phone that I just can't bear to. It is really like when I look at their name, I sit and ponder about the great times together, etc. I feel if I deleted the name from my phone, then I cheat myself out of some future memories and my little talking to I give the person once in a while.

You know on emails you can still get the deceased person's future planned emails, and social media events, etc. Then there is that pesky spam stuff that can be sent to you from another source using the deceased person's email address, etc.

2. Tye

Tye
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I just don't have many friends/contacts in this category. I have one friend that died about five years. His Facebook account is still active and I wished him happy birthday last week.

3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I delete. I do not need a phone entry to remind me of good times I had with that person.............

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clarkgriswald

Clarkgriswald
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    If that makes you feel better to have that little memory of that person hang on to it. How much space does that little information take up on your phone or computer, nothing really. But in your mind/heart it takes up a lot more. Hang on to it.

5. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    A gentleman I supervised for 17 years passed-away suddenly 2 years ago at 56 in his sleep with no warning. During our time, I think he (Tony) thought I was more of his friend than I thought he was of mine. When we lost him, I then realized how much I cared about him and loved him. He was such a sincere and genuine friend. In my line of work, a lot of people are fair-weather friends and it's tough to tell who's who until the chips are down. I still keep Tony's texts on my phone and scroll down ever so often and open them up. On Thursday's he'd make parlay tickets and take all the college football teams that were getting the most points and put them on 3-team parlay cards. Then he'd text me all weekend and let me know that Troy St. was only down to Alabama by 20 at half and could cover the 48 point spread... but then by the 4th quarter Alabama's leading by 50 and he'd lose. That's just an example of the stupid texts that now are so meaningful to me now..

For me, I don't think it's an inability to let go, but rather a desire to hold onto some fond memories like opening a drawer and looking at some old photos.

• Love Love x 1
  6. Dreamsh!t

Dreamsh!t
    Expand Collapse
    Love craps, and beer!.
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    My sister passed away a few years ago. My siblings and her close friends were at at a favorite watering a did a toast to her and then we deleted her from our contacts.

Glad that one of my sisters had thought of it. It was a simple tribute, and good way to do this rather than a awkward button poke.

I have heard others will send a goob bye text, and then delete the contact after they send the text.

to each his own

• Like Like x 2
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast
    Expand Collapse
    Baccarat Pro
    Founder's Club

For a long time after 9/11 I did not delete the contacts for 18 people I knew who used to work in WTC. I think the shock of them being gone so suddenly, and all at one time was just really weird to deal with. Somewhere around 2008-2009 I started deleting some of them, but only when I would "see" them in Outlook -- I never searched for the contacts to delete them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brensan

brensan
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I personally delete because it is too painful for me to see their name pop up. I cherish the pictures I have, and remember them that way. But I like the idea of sending a goodbye text first!

• Like Like x 2
  9. MOinVAN

MOinVAN
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    This. Certainly not judging as everyone has their own way.

I become unfocused and sad if a random calendar or phone entry inadvertently pops up, which is the opposite of what they would expect or want from me.

Probably not what VEGASBJ was referring to. Just oversharing. Lol

#9 Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  10. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Glad I didn't say that! But thanks for the opinion!