Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

What did Jack Nicklaus say 20 years ago?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Link:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Tags:
  2. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    And do you have your own thoughts?

3. TBONE3336

TBONE3336
    Expand Collapse
    This space for rent.
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Speaking of Nicklaus, it was nice piece they did on his win 30 years ago. I remember that well and rooted him all the way.

4. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that Jack never envisioned that Tiger's early career performance would inspire a whole generation of young golfers that would eventually hit the tour at 20-25 years old with all the tools that Tiger has/had and then some. Tiger revolutionized the game which ironically also led to his inability to compete later in his career. Obviously injuries have further hampered Tiger, but the reality is even a healthy Tiger wouldn't be able to compete with the Rory, Jordan, Day, Fowler, Scott, Rose, DJ, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    the new breed of golfer is hitting it farther than Tiger ever hit in his prime. Swing speeds are higher, and Yes, ball and club technology has improved, but so has the player's fitness, swing technology, and a host of other improvements. Ball tracker, swing tracker, video analysis have all helped the current golfer tremendously. And, there are 10-15 guys that can win a major any given week. Injury will always be the downfall for a long career and all-time records.

6. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    True but he should have already won 5-6 more majors between 2008 and 2013 when he was still in his prime and before those guys really came along.

7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I'd say a younger healthy Tiger certainly would compete with these guys. Before all the idiotic Seal training and chasing "owing my swing" he was a multidimensional player with the short-game skills of Phil, the length of all the bombers, Spieth's putter touch (but better) and he could and did play any ball flight and trajectory as needed. Shit, I'm not even a Tiger fan.

And he has competed against many of those guys. Since DJ notched his first of nine wins in 2008, Tiger has won 18. 18. And he missed, what, three-plus years to various indiscretions and injuries? Eighteen is a career to all but four dozen dudes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

But it wouldn't have been 5-6 green jackets.

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    That's like comparing a 1997 car to a 2016 car. Of course shit is better, faster, lighter. Remember, Tiger lit it up when the equipment revolution had not really taken off and the ProV1 was still a wet dream of some guy at Achusnet.

10. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that Jack's prediction was made when there wasn't this kind of talent on tour, and certainly not this much talent that is under the age of 30. It used to be pretty rare to see a guy in even his mid 20's to be tour player, let alone be winning tournaments. Now many of the best players on tour are well under 30 (even under 25) and every year there's a new crop of guys that can play hitting the tour as rookies. Think about how many years they have ahead of them. Hell it seems guys like Day, Fowler, Rory, etc. have been around forever. They're 28/27/26 respectively. What was rare 20 years ago is now commonplace.

When Jack made the prediction, he was probably thinking, if this guy is this good at his age, he'll clean up. But it was based on the premise that the average tour player was going to be an unathletic 35+ year old guy. He never envisioned an environment where there is a new wave of 20 year old kids hitting the tour every year and picking up wins in short order.

In short, I think Jack envisioned Tiger as a once in a lifetime type talent. I don't think he could have ever predicted that there would be a whole generation full of players coming right behind him that he would eventually have to compete with as an aging player.