Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Vehicle Break In

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by smartone, Jul 9, 2016.

1. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Since I know there a lot of smart people on this board, I'm posing this issue to you to see if I'm missing anything or you have suggestions. About a month ago, I had to place my Mom in a memory-care assisting living facility in California due to the continued advancement of her dementia. Dad passed-away 4 years ago.

I live 4 hours away, so not across the country, but not down the block either. On Thursday, my son and I drove down to check on her house and visit her. I also took items from their safe-deposit box to bring back to my home to go through them and place the things that need to be kept in our safe-deposit box. As I've been going through all this, I took an old laptop briefcase and had been putting any papers involving my Mom in it. I had a copy of our family trust document and papers from the assisted-care facility already and then added all the "stuff" out of her safe-deposit box to it on Thursday. Sometime between late Thursday evening and Friday morning in the hotel parking-garage, someone smashed the rear driver's side window by the back seat of my truck and grabbed it from the floor board. I'm sure they thought it was a laptop right up until the time they opened it up.

I don't even know exactly what all was in there, but know her wallet with checkbook was in there ( I took out her driver's license and the cash), deed to her home, title to her vehicle, birth-certificates and all kinds of stuff like that. The documents have both her social-security number and my Dad's on them, etc.

Of course I filled-out a police report. I'm listed as the successor trustee and all the power of attorney paperwork from the trust was in there, along with the signed letters from the Dr. declaring her unfit to manage her personal, financial and health related affairs, BUT I did scan those recently to send to various places to cancel things, etc., so I have electronic copies of that.

My hope is that it's a petty thief who has quickly seen there's no cash for them and has discarded things, but my fear is that all of this sensitive and personal paperwork could be a bonanza for someone thinking identity theft! During this next month or so, as we go about selling her vehicle and listing the home for sale. I'm sure the vehicle title can be dealt with at California DMV and we can't be the first person to sell a home absent the deed that proves ownership. I'm assuming the title company can assist in research, etc. for that. Wouldda been nice to have Dad's original birth-certificate, but no real harm there... or the loss of hers for that matter? She's 80, in a facility and do I really need to worry about that as well?

I'm reaching out to you folks to ask what I might be missing? I've been paying her bills for the past 3 years with her money out of her accounts ( I have the username and password). I've already transferred her money over to my accounts, but her social security check and a couple other small pension checks are direct deposited to that account still.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other that the admonishment I deserve for not treating the briefcase as the valuable piece of personable property I should have and taken it inside the hotel that evening.

2. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas
    Expand Collapse
    Now drop and give me 50 burpees! Don't wuss out!
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    No admonishment from me. You are juggling a lot of balls between a busy career and then adding all of your mom's financial affairs on top of that. My own experience over the past 15 years has taught me that it's incredibly challenging to balance it all.

Do you have an ID monitoring service? The only thing I can think of is that you may want to set up ID monitoring on her SSA number (and possibly your Dad's SSA if her SSA is from his account).

3. alanleroy

alanleroy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    You might find the below FTC link helpful. It's pretty detailed. Here's a key point...

"If your wallet, Social Security card, or other personal, financial, or account information is lost or stolen, contact the credit reporting companies and place a fraud alert on your credit file. See how to place a fraud alert on page 6. "

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

4. Tyche

Tyche
    Expand Collapse

sorry to hear that. Have you filed a claim with your auto insurance?

5. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for the info folks! I filed a police report, but was assuming the replacement of this window to be under $500 (I could be wrong), which is my deductible. The truck I was driving is a 2007 Sierra 1500 Crew-Cab, I think they call it, with a back-seat, but the small, half-size door and window.

I didn't get back home till after 5 p.m. yesterday, so can't get an estimate on the physical damage till Monday. I wouldn't know how to place a value on the all the lost paperwork... do you recommend I still file a claim? Nothing else in the vehicle was touched, they didn't take my garage clicker, registration or rifle thru the glove box or anything.

#5 Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  6. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Sure appreciate your comment regarding the stress of all this, that's why I elected to keep putting everything in the one briefcase... to keep it all separate and accessible. It sure was accessible... to them!

7. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I had my purse stolen a few years ago. I had so much important info in there but that is a whole other story.

If they by any chance saw any documents with her social security number I would go down to the Social Security Administration and let them know. My social security card was in my wallet and the police recommended I do that. The Social Security Administration will file some papers just in case down the road her identity is compromised.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I second the recommendation for reporting this to the three big credit reporting agencies to flag your mom's Social Security number just in case someone tries to open an account with her SS#.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dirtyshirley

dirtyshirley
    Expand Collapse
    aka JF3976
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Sure doesn't help the stress level any I'm sure! You've already gotten some really good advice, so nothing to add on that front.

10. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    almost anybody who looks through that is going to know it's a goldmine of information.

even if they aren't equipped to do it themselves, they can always sell it.

real property deeds are recorded at the county. you don't need the piece of paper to prove you own it.

even if this hadn't happened, you should definitely freeze all her credit bureaus. fraud alert is worthless. freeze them completely and then you don't have to worry about any real ID theft. she isn't going to be using her credit for anything anyway and nobody can apply for anything with them frozen.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Register or Login

Register or Login

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1