Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Vegas Violence

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by RTG10, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Not sure if you guys have seen the news coming out of Vegas tonight about a stabbing yesterday evening on the strip,
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    . Last two times I visited there were strip stabbings both times.

Is Vegas getting generally more dangerous? Would you anticipate they are mostly gang / premeditated? Would it put you off visiting if it keeps rising in prominence?

Interested on your thoughts, as someone that outside of gambling is quite risk averse it makes me think twice.

2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

I'm of the camp with the it's a city of course there are going to be robberies /shootings/ stabbing but I did read somewhere that there is a recent uptick. For me I don't really car for the most part.. We pretty much don't leave the hotel by foot ESP at night

3. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    Stay away from sketchy places late at night.

You'll be fine.

Unless you're not.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. KRISTINA

KRISTINA
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I totally agree with this, I don't think it will hurt tourism at all either. Honestly I feel like these are mostly people who were planning to attack someone in particular, not just completely random acts of violence on just anyone. The drugs and alcohol in vegas (or any party city for that matter) can easily escalate a simple dispute into something like this. They had a shooting days after we were there last and it didn't change us booking another trip for next month. Just be smart, use common sense and you should be okay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa
    Expand Collapse
    Front Line Winner
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    There have been a lot more incidences of violence there lately but when comparing to any other big city it's not much different. Sadly we are all prett much becoming desensitized to stuff like this. I mean I live in Houston so this doesn't even register on the crime Richter scale for me.

Be aware of your surroundings. That's the best you can do. Don't escalate any confrontations and don't be afraid to involve the police should you find yourself in a bad spot.

6. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I think the thing that gives me solice is that it may be gang related, other wise shootings and stabbing on the strip outside planet Hollywood do make you worry. That's presumably not a shady area?

7. Yankees4ever31

Yankees4ever31
    Expand Collapse
    Boy, the way Glenn Miller Played.....
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Vegas ain't got shit on Brooklyn :dead: lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa
    Expand Collapse
    Front Line Winner

Trips to Vegas:
    Shady area or not these things happen in well moneyed areas too. The likelihood of it happening on the strip increases, I believe, because all walks of life congregate there. The odds increase that some of questionable moral character are roaming the strip.

I used to be a prison guard and a lot of the instincts that applied to that survival inside the pen I still use today. But even being as vigilant as possible random acts can happen to anyone.

I'm guessing the the Vegas PD will increase their presence there. Violence is bad for business in a tourist area.

9. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse

A man shot someone in the French quarter. He then held up a couple at gunpoint while he made the boyfriend give him head. That didn't stop the crowds from going to Mardi Gras.