Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

The tourney I hate to love ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Two bold predictions:

1. I bet the course looks more like carpet than grass, it'll be so perfect.

2. Rickie Fowler wins it all!

2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    the problem with our games as journeyman hackers is that we can't hold the greens from the distance we would be coming in from. These guys are hitting 170-180 yd 8 irons that can come in high and land soft, and almost hold the green. We would be banzai'ing through the greens hitting a 5 iron in (for me) - and we would not be 180 yds out like they would be. We would be much further back, so we may be hitting hybrid or more on our approach shots. Some of the longer Par 4's we may have to lay up on approach due to pin position, length of shot coming in, etc.

Then as Shifter noted, we do not know where to miss, where to "try" to leave the ball on approach to prevent 3-4 putts per green. We don't have the wedge game to spin the ball to hold the greens.

I don't think it has been as bad the past few years as far as green speeds go, but in previous years the commentator's referred to the green speed as being like putting on linoleum or a sheet of glass. Try stopping a putt from 20' away if you are putting on glass. It is all touch and tons of practice, none of which the everyday hacker possesses - so the score we shoot would be well over our regular handicap score. I think the best way to score well may be to just play every hole defensively. Hit a safe drive, lay up, chip up, play for bogey every hole. Trying to play for Par would lead to the disastrous scores. Just some thoughts...................

3. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    No, V, you are dead nuts on. And the contours of those greens!

None of us hits to spots, our GIR specs suck on mushy greens and from mortals' distances. Shifter certainly has far more game than us but even he'd struggle.

Remember, a scratch or 1 or 2 is closer in ability and on-course outcome to a double-digit than a card-carrying tour pro. I played once with a guy who was OK as a Canadian Tour player, and he was by far the best golfer with whom I've ever been paired that wasn't from one of the four big tours. I mean, I've never seen an am that good and I have friends who win state ams and the like. And there he was, in Single A ball, not going anywhere.

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    lol

Augusta is SO bad for the game. And yet we love it.

I'd be cool with a Rickie win. But Sawgrass notwithstanding, he still gets the skitters on Sunday, at places far less punishing that Augusta.

5. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    It's so true. I feel guilty for it.

But I WILL use it as an excuse for watching Caddyshack this week in preparation.

6. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Well thought out! Great point about our approach shots and where to leave the ball on approach. In (minor) comparison, I find Coyote Springs a ball placement type of green complex. Best rounds were when my iron game was on, and knew after many many rounds there, where NOT to miss the green or which side of the green to be on!

I am sure that we have all putted on some 15 Stimpmeter greens before, but the slopes and contours are rarely combined. Fast greens don't scare me as much as fast fringes!!

I enjoy the Masters from the point of spectator because of the familiarity of the holes. You seem to be at your home course when watching the telecast. (not like the US Open, etc, which move venues every year). It also helps to bet on so many longshots (and then win a few over the years). I don't really have to worry about betting from 'my heart', since I don't have any special affinity to any players.

Love all the golf comments from the members on this board. We do share in the love of the (fast-played) game, and the true friend/family aspect of the sport. (plus I got out for my first golf outing of the year - 4 holes played with 4 clubs - home course just opened!!)

7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Looks like the wind is gonna be big for maybe three days. Hello wind players and shorter hitters.

8. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    repeat for Zach? Maybe good for Speith as well

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    It does open things up. If they get that rain on Wednesday night it gets longer and wider and then the wind blows for three days and it gets way more narrow. It's Augusta, it's the one major where you have more guys with no chance of winning but also the largest contingent of potential winners. Interesting dynamic. How is Day's back? How does he do being the highest-hitting player on the planet? Has Scott truly replicated the anchored stroke with the conventional putter, as seems to be the case? Phil owns Augusta when he comes in leading the tour in scoring and guess who is leading the tour in scoring this year? Rickie's new swing moved him up the ladder but he gets a bit rabbity on Sunday at times. Rose has all the shots but putting can be a problem. Rory still seems indifferent. Will Spieth's late rights at Austin reappear? On and on and on and on. Gonna be a great tourney.

#19 Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  10. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Definitely some good winds coming through Atlanta today. Can't imagine playing in it