Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

The Great Italian 7 After Dinner Drinks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Was with a long time friend last night at his restaurant and we got to discussing the misunderstood and often overlooked world of after dinner drinks, also known as cordials and aperitifs'.

I made some notes and although not definitive by any means, maybe enough for those interested to explore and open a new world into sitting, talking, eating sweets paired with something special.

LIMONCELLO

Cook with or drink. Super versatile to the max! Simply add ice and some fruit or pour a bit of it on your fruit salad or anything fruit is serves on, such as a salad. Try it in a tall skinny glass filled with ice and a slice of lemon, orange and some blackberries.

AMARETTO

Best described as sweet almond flavored bitters which is a traditional liquor cordial. Best selling and most widely known brand is DiSaronno. Best paired with pastries and cakes.

GRAPPA

Made from grape skins and many other items left overs from making wines. Best by far with chocolates and cookies or better yet, traditional Biscotti.

SAMBUCA

We al know the name. Very universal. Commonly put into coffee and espresso. Best traditionally served straight up in a small glass with 3 espresso beans.

GALLIANO

Commonly used in Italian dessert baking and cooking. Full of various herbs and spices. Distinctive yellow color. General description of the aroma is herbal-vanilla. Used a mixer in numerous drinks. Most famous would be a Harvey-Wallbanger. Straight up add, orange slices, blueberries and/or cherries.

AMARO

Fruits, herbs and other spices. Numerous kinds of Amaro (plural is proper at Amari). It is a great after dinner drink. There are so many Amari that there is virtually one for each region, city and even many of the smaller villages in Italy. Mint, licorice, citrus, etc. Complicated yet GREAT!!! Numerous bitters and herbs anywhere in each from a half dozen to 100 plus. Also a great mixer with white wines and sodas. Very versatile. Well known brand example of Del Capo and Ramazzotti.

BAROLO CHINATO

A Barolo wine that has its main content of mint-vanilla-cinnamon & coriander. Extremely smooth and aromatic. Goes perfectly with chocolate and other rich Italian sweet chocolate type desserts. Perfect with tiramisu!

Go ahead and explore these, there are more but those are your basic 7 and some of the best and most versatile.

#1 Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Tags:
  2. dahammer

dahammer
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Here's another: Nocino, it's made with black walnuts. A couple years ago I tried making it using the walnuts from a neighbors tree, but it didn't taste right, I think the rubber gasket on my jar gave it an off taste. Also, the walnuts are supposed to be harvested in late June and I made mine in late July.

How about another, Frangelico. Made with hazelnuts.

Had a Godfather yesterday, Scotch and Amaretto. Don't knock it till you had one. A friend mixes some limoncello with his vodka tonic.

3. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Yes, there are plenty more. Campari and Cyner. BTW, Nocino is very similar to amaretto.

Those 7 are my personal top choices, but there are plenty of others.