Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

The Email lottery scam exposed on American Greed show

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

The TV program called 'American Greed' had a special the other night on the email lottery scam going on for the past couple of years or so.

I get them all the time, along with the tons of others about the inheritance scam, the Michelle Obama grant scam, and many others. All deleted from spam without ever opening.

I must say, too bad the thugs and gang members that orchestrated this didn't put their creative talents to better use.
    It appears there are 3 major players, all street level gang affiliated, that is the root of what they call the Jamaican Lottery Scam. They bought email lists and gave them out in Jamaica to various people, with the majority being women with multiple children and no husbands. Gave them a lap top and told them to work the lists, etc. Their primary target were the older people with less interest in social media, internet and the such. So more a less, those that are naïve in lots of ways and under informed.

Numerous victims, thousands in fact. Two of the top victims are, one lady that owns a large family farming operation in North Dakota and another person in Nebraska. One lost $450k plus and the other over $850k. There are countless victims losing between a few hundred and a few thousand as well.

The FBI, Homeland Security and the Jamaican Police are now teaming up and starting prosecution of those they catch in Jamaica and extraditing them to the USA for prosecution. They have tracked no less than about $8 Million dollars coming back to one of the USA street level gang members that was one of the 3 originators of all of this. They admittedly said, that is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg with this scam.

Personally, I had no idea. Knew it was a scam along with all the other emails with similar wealth claims. This particular one, if someone sends them something than it goes to a higher up in the chain and they find out the personal info on the victim. They then turn to threats of violence against their children, grandchildren, etc. It has caused victims here in the USA to not only deplete their life savings, but to obtain mortgages on their homes and vehicles in order to keep send funds to Jamaica. All I can say is, WOW.

Tags:
  2. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

I was at a small restaurant three weeks ago when the owner received a call from a scammer claiming that they'd kidnapped her daughter and wanted her to send them money via western union

3. Joe

Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Used to live in Vegas

Trips to Vegas:
    As my best friend always says...I'm giving the hairy eyeball to that one.

4. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse

Her teen daughter once posted her cell phone number on social media so they were able to spoof the number that showed up on the caller ID. That's why it was believable at first

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K.
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    That's scary. I once got an email from my husband's uncle claiming he was stranded in Thailand and needed money wired to him. They should have chosen someone who wasn't a successful businessman with way more money than us because I just laughed and deleted it.