Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

The Dodo is not dead ( non-political thread)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Valgal, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The other night at work around 12:30 at night our phones went down. I'm a nursing supervisor - it is really a skate job most of the time. I watch all the other nurses work and when they have ran for 10+ hours or more I ask them to take just one more patient - or two. The hard part is when crap goes wrong like the other night.

At night it's me- no other administrators - which is usually a good thing. Any ways, the operator calls my cell - we can't call in or out but we can call internally. We let all the units know and then someone tells me their cell isn't working AT & T. I'm texting my safety officer for advice. Luckily My personal cell was sprint - the hospital cell was AT &T and now it had no service. We called in our faculties guy. I then decide to call law enforcement to see if it is city wide. Our town is right about 10,000 population. I can't get a hold of them on my cell- rings 3 times and drops. I go to the 2-way radio in the ER and get a hold of dispatch. No phones working at the Law enforcement center either. My mind is racing. A couple of months ago a major building was torched and police and fire were tied up with that. A couple of brilliant thieves took to Main Street and robbed a couple of jewelry stores. They were smart enough to create a diversion but didn't think about the cameras in the shops. They were caught within a day or two- idiots.

So I am feeling a little uneasy but I know we have the radio if we need police. Our hospital uses the cable company for our phone. They switched after we lost phone service for many hours at a time on two different occasions. About a year or so ago. Idiot construction workers back hoed over and severed the only fiberoptic cable for the phones for all the city. I think this happened twice within a few months.

The facilities guy got a hold of them and they checked our line- said it was good . But it appears they are replacing a component and we were marked for scheduled maintenance from midnight to 6 am. Which is why we probably didn't have phone service- said the tech guy. He was on speaker phone and I heard the conversation. Strangely, while our guy was on the phone (he was still using a cell phone) Our phones started working in the hospital and dispatch called - their phone service was also restored at the same time. They were down for about one and a half hours total. It sounded fishy. Who takes down phones without any notice to a hospital and law enforcement? And why did they miraculously start working during the phone call to report the outage. I found out later in the day 911 calls could not go through they automatically get re routed to a town in a neighboring county 40 miles away.

That's my dodo story. I guess it was 3 total. The person who didn't realize they cut off phone service to police, fire, EMS, and the hospital. If it was scheduled you think they would have given us a heads up. The rocket science majors- the thieves and the guys who cut the cable twice.

2. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Just saw on my news feed another dodo. 19 year old driving over 200 mph on an Oklahoma turnpike.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

3. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Jackie, once the phones are back up, order 5 pizzas with pepperoni.

#3 Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1