Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Tell me your experiences playing Ultimate Texas Holdem

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by rycelover, Oct 11, 2016.

1. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    nevermind ... after looking at your equation again more carefully, I understand how you calculated that theo. But, I'm not certain that CET calculates theo utilizing that formula.

Here's the numbers I got from my host:
    Caesars: Avg $238, time 9:21, theo 665
    Ballys: Avg $272, time 2:12, theo 78
    Harrahs: Avg $315, time 46mins, theo 37

#21 Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'd be happy to help when we meet up this next trip!

• Like Like x 1
  3. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    With regards to the trips bet, I looked back at my play this weekend and except for the 2+ hrs at Ballys where I didn't make that wager, I did play $15 on it @ Caesars; I only recall hitting it 4 times (I a full house, a flush, a straight and trips), so using a conservative average of 30 hands an hour @ $15 per hand over the course of 9+ hours that I played, I "deposited" $4050, for a return that was significantly less. The full house payed 8 ($120), the flush paid 6 ($90), the straight paid 5 ($75) and the trips paid 3 ($45) for a total payout of $330, leaving me with a net loss of $3,720. Ain't that a kick in the head!

Let's not even talk about the $5 progressive that I gifted to Caesars over the course of that same period of time. I only hit it once when I had trip 4's on the flop, which netted me $40 (they pay $45, but take away your original $5 bet, those bastards!), but dumped them $1,350 total on that bet, for a net loss of $1,305.

Combining the two, I could have walked away with an added $5,025 in my BR had I not played those bonus bets. Sobering thoughts ...

4. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:

Is that the ol' "bet pays 9 for 1" instead of "bet pays 9 to 1" language trick they use?

5. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    No actually, they're even more slick than that. What happens is you put the initial $5 on a betting circle that lights up when there's a bet, then the dealer swipes those bets away before the hands are dealt, so it's not up there when the hands are played; when it's time to pay if you win, they simply pay you what you've won, but you never see that original $5 ever again!

6. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow that's some slick shit.

" I got an idea....let's take their money and pocket it right away, instead of letting it sit there while the hand is being played. When they lose the regular hand, they will have already forgotten that they lost the sucker bet and it will only feel like they lost once instead of twice. And if they do win, it'll feel like free money"

Kudos to you for keeping track of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    ryce... that's the 'progressive', "bonus bet"... not the 'trips' bet.
    The trips bet, in my experience, hits about every 7 hands or so...sometimes 6...sometimes 8...but every 7 on average.

So, let's say you get 28 hands in an hour - you should hit on 'trips' 4 times, and lose 24 times.
    Now - let's say those 4 are a set of trips, 1 straight, 1 flush & 1 full-house. At $15, that would be $45 on the trips, $75 on the straight, $90 on the flush and $120 on the full-house...total = +$330. Total lost = $360. Net loss of $30.
    Now - cut out the full-house and replace it with another trips hand? You win $255 and lose $360... a bit more likely, but not nearly as bad as the 'bonus bet' is.

(had to edit for bad math)

8. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    PS - it sure is nice to have the trips bet out there when the board hits a payout hand & you push (or even lose) to the dealer.
    I advise people to play it (at table-minimum) until they get a good payout (full-house or better). Then back off.

9. rycelover

rycelover
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Topcard, when I was discussing the swiping of the $5 bet I was referring to the progressive bonus bet, not the trips bet, which on a win, the house does return the original bet ...

As for the trips bet hitting as often as you state (and I have no reason to quarrel with you on that statement), I guess I just didn't have any luck with that wager on this first trip. If I start to notice it hitting more frequently for me than 4 times in 9 hours, then maybe I will change my mind. :thumbsup:

In that regard, I did see other players getting paid on that bet. While at Ballys, there was a gentleman playing in 3rd base who won that bet on two consecutive hands hitting Aces full of Queens and quad 8's. On both occasions he had a $25 bet on trips and $5 on the progressive.

My GF, who was playing next to me @ Ballys had $5 on the trips bet and hit it three times in 2+ hours (all 3 occasions were trips) so she had a net loss of $255 on that bet. ($300-$45).

10. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Ouch!
    Well, that's 'variance' for you.
    Two trips back, my vegas-buddy was hitting like crazy.
    On one session (of about two hours), he hit at least 5 full-houses, 2 or 3 straights and at least two flushes...plus another 2 or 3 sets of trips.
    On that same trip...same day in fact, we were at the UTH table at 'theD', and he hit a Royal.

Now, I've never been that lucky myself, but even for me - during his multi-full house run of two hours - I still hit on the bet about every 5th or 6th hand...usually just trips or a straight, but still - not bad at all.

Having played UTH for couple of years now, the way it typically goes for me is in runs. I might go 8 or 9 hands without a hit, but then hit twice in 4 or 5 hands.
    4 times in 9 hours? That's horrific! I'd quit playing it too, if I found myself in a session like that!
    Seriously - that's got to be the worst run on the trips bet that I've heard of.
    I think the worst I've ever experienced was a bad run of about 15 hands without hitting one.
    I genuinely cannot recall ever having a worst run than that...which was about 30 minutes without hitting.

Are you sure you (& the dealer) didn't miss any straights or flushes?
    I swear - on every Vegas trip - I end up catching at least 1 miss by both player & dealer, and I always point it out.
    More than once, the pit has had to come over & pull the cards out of the discard-well. and re-spread them in order to confirm what I told them.

Those seem to be the most common dealer errors - failing to pay on a player straight or flush... and every so often, failing to realize they have one themselves. ;)

• Like Like x 1