Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Syrian refugees

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tellafriend, Aug 18, 2016.

?

Would you invite a Syrian family to move in with you?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    So our leaders have decided we are going to accept tens of thousands of Syrian refugees

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Hillary's plan is more ambitious:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Mind you that we are BORROWING this money for this endeavor and leaving the bill for our children to pay.

Its one thing where people want to feel good about themselves and say sure, help strangers out and bring them here. It is quite another when they are relocated in your backyard. But hey, that is someone else's problem, right?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Register or Login

3. Filthy Ernesto

Filthy Ernesto
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Maybe if we don't want them in our backyard, we should get out of their front yard. Of course this means ceding influence over a region with a commodity that drives our economy over to other global powers. Everything has costs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Ernesto...we are not in Syria...and there's no oil imported from Syria.
    In fact, we are not in anyone's "front yard" right now, except for Afghanistan...which also has no oil.

If you're suggesting that the United States must be docile on a global scale in order to retain control over our own immigration allowances, I would say this: We will do so when every other nation does the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. harvson3

harvson3
    Expand Collapse
    Chawl toilet attendant
    Founder's Club

Cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" - some broad on an island in NY Harbor

"Fuck that, it costs money!" - somebody on the Internet

The great thing about America is that people come here and become productive, and start businesses, and make lives, and contribute to society, and we're all richer for it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm not intelligent enough to fully understand this complex problem and I never believe that we are given complete information on these types of subjects.

We see how our diplomatic braintrusts often miscalculate things. What happens if and when these families assimilate into families here and then one day just wipe out their host family here in the name of their god..??

I would not want to be young and in this world today.... At least in the 50's and 60's the world SEEMED safer and more civilized... The whole world is going bananas and quickly...
    We are now a much more fearful and un-trusting society because we really have no choice but to be this way. We have become more introverted compared to 50 years ago....

Refugees, we are sympathetic, but they will only make "our ship" sink and at a quick rate.. How many will suffer here, Americans, both financially and possibly violently due to refugees..??..

7. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    The results of feelgood politics won't be known for years. I know that we've gone too far left, when my traditionally democratic voting colleagues are getting pissed. Our politicians have lost focus and they're writing their own agenda, independent of the people the supposedly represent. The near future could prove to be a very dangerous time. Not body bag dangerous..... Disastrous policy dangerous.

The right wing politicians are playing the same game as the left, knowing that if they don't transition to appealing to immigrants, the future of the GOP is doomed. It's a great feeling to know that both parties are driven by votes and not even a semblance of the "right thing" to do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Not all of them assimilate. If you have watched any of the different news organizations the Syrian refugees are mainly young men who come to the welcoming countries feeling entitled from the minute they step across the border. They are getting pissed off about their accommodations, food given, the quality of the wifi given to them for free. It is just ridiculous. Why not ask the 1200 German women raped on New Year's Eve how it worked out for them?? -- I guess it was their fault for daring to go out on a holiday and not recognizing the culture that invaded their town. They should have known being women they are not equal and just piece of trash to be tossed around.

We do not have an endless supply of resources to tax. The tit is going dry over here. At some point people are going to have to learn to defend themselves and their own country.

Register or Login

• Like Like x 2
  9. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    harvson... and, if we had the same 'social services' given away to immigrants, today, as we did when that motto was inscribed on Lady Liberty, (hint: there were none), then I would agree with your sentiment. If we weren't already $20 trillion in debt and had nearly full employment? I would eagree with your sentiment. If we were not threatened by murderous attack by terrorists groups who have openly stated that they plan to infiltrate our nation via Syrian refugee admissions? I might agree with your sentiment...again, assuming we could financially afford to do so.

As for your other statement? Those who want to legally emigrate here, be productive, start businesses & contribute to society (and American culture) - they were and still ARE very welcomed here... and they always will be.

10. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I did see on the news a few months back where it was suggested that the women in Germany should take some of the blame because these men did not know they were doing anything wrong. In their culture it is just the way things are. So I guess they have to shut up and take it.