Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Stop Whining that Vegas is Expensive

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by Parallax, Mar 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I just got back from a week in California for work. My company is in Silicon Valley and I stayed at an extremely mediocre hotel. The rate was $250 per night, pretax. It would make Bally's look like a 5 star hotel. The food prices were just as expensive as Vegas.

Yet, people will complain about how expensive Vegas is (see other board). How they have to spend $100 (including a resort fee) per night on a room. I can get $129 rate from the Venetian even though I have not given them any meaningful play in 7 years. You can't find those type of continuous discounts at hotels of a high caliber in any other major cities. While there are high end restaurants that charge a pretty penny, there are some great inexpensive options, including those offered by some of the higher end type of restaurants in Vegas. There is no better deal than sitting at the bar at Julian Serrano's and enjoying $6 tapas and $6 sangria.

Travel to NYC, DC or San Francisco if you want to experience real sticker shock. The hotel rates, unless it is an extremely slow period, will not be subsidized like in Vegas and will be much higher. Food will be just, if not more, expensive, and there is a good likelihood there will be no free coffeemaker in your room.

I understand that there can be sticker shock if you do not live in or by a major city. However, it should be understood that the Vegas is cheaper option than other major cities because a resort subsidizes many costs just to get you onto their property.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PayTriple

PayTriple
    Expand Collapse
    The Cucumber King
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yup. Or try Europe or Japan, it's even worse.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Absolutely correct. Go to any major city on business, and any decent hotel will be $300-$400 / night. And these are also not even in the most expensive cities like those listed above. I have recently been to Denver, Indy, Philly, Seattle and all rooms at a standard Marriott or similar averaged way higher than a similar room in Vegas. Eat downtown in any of these cities at a steakhouse, and be prepared to pay big time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    I think some people just like to find something to whine about.

• Like Like x 4
  5. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    +1

Also, most hotels in most cities charge a daily parking fee.....regardless if it is valet or self park. I've also been charged resort fees in hotels that were not really resorts and fewer amenities than a basic Vegas hotel.

#5 Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. jonnyvegas

jonnyvegas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    This is exactly why I tell my wife it is a no-brainer to continuously go to Vegas every year. We can stay at 4+ to 5 stars hotels for nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    All good pts. And I agree with you.
    Just to play devil's advocate - those other cities don't expect and encourage a visitor to drop a mortgage payment or 10 in addition to the hotel bill...

8. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes, there is always group of individuals that feel the need to complain about everything. There is also a group who remember the days of the $4.99 buffets and believe that time should have stopped. Of course, the $4.99 buffet was only offered at the a shit hole like the Boardwalk.

9. PayTriple

PayTriple
    Expand Collapse
    The Cucumber King
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    But only losers do that, drop a mortgage payment or two.....

• Haha Haha x 1
  10. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    True. That is where the subsidy comes from. However, many people are low rollers and the amount they spend gambling would still be lower than the costs associated with visiting other major cities.

• Agree Agree x 1