Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Seriously, the work force today, McDonalds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Feb 26, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

I normally DO NOT engage in the fast food thing everyday like many do, possibly a couple or few times a month when it involved jumping on the highway to get to a job site and when I am north of hungry. Possible a time a month with the kids when we are pressed to get somewhere. Never really have any problems and almost every time the counter people kind of finish the order as I start saying something like a sandwich and a drink and there come back is---what about a meal it has that and a side of fries or something else for less money or more food for a little bit more, etc......and so on.

Last night got back home and had everything out to make the pasta sauce from scratch and a salad. As soon as I just about started making it all, phone rings, need to get to the other side of the state to help my guy with a truck rollover spill. He grabbed all the wrong stuff and is sitting there all frustrated and getting yelled at. So I grab my truck and trailer and head to the highway. I am hungry and figure to get a simple fish filet and some fries at McDonald's, it's about the only thing I can eat there, I detest their burgers and all the other crap they have.

I pull up to the drive in and order a Filet of Fish, small fries and a small coke, thinking its a meal deal thing which is what I wanted but did not specifically say, "Meal", etc. So I did see the price and the meal thing for the fish was $5.99, I get up to the window and she says $7.41. I really don't care about the extra $1.40 or so, but I just ask her, the board says it is $5.99 why the extra, I didn't want the large fries or drink, etc. That is what I was positive it was, I never finish those big things anyways---just a waste. She looks at me and she is all confused. After about a solid 30 seconds of looking at her screen and thinking, she says to me, " you ordered a small drink and a small fry and the fish, the total is $7.41. I ask her, "can you please tell me what size the 'meal' comes with for the drink and fries. She says, "medium sizes". So, I throw the truck in park and say to her, "I ordered a small fry. small drink and the fish for $7.41, but the medium fry and med drink and fish is $5.99"? She says, "I think so, the medium is the meal and that is $5.99".

Now, I quickly think to myself, I believe I am always asked real quick at places like this, or Wendy's or Arby's on the same style occasions when I order a drink and fries or something and their responses are usually the same, 'why not just get a meal', and as it turns out it is a better deal most every time. It is really not the cost of $1 to $2, but just the principal of the thing. I kinda relate it to servicing an auto when I used to own my garages and gas stations with the package deals, etc. But anyway, the drive in lady now has her hand out is motioning payment with her fingers while she is taking another order. I say, 'excuse me, I really wanted to order the meal but hey, I guess I messed up and you didn't bring it to my attention'. She says, "I just rang up what you said you wanted and didn't think to ask if you wanted the meal'. I asked her if I could have the small stuff for the same price as the meal and we would be good to go. She got totally pissed and flustered. She cocks her head to the side and keeps motioning me with her finger to put the money in her hand. If she only smiled and said something along the lines as it would be a bookkeeping nightmare or lots of paperwork or anything, but she got defensive and basically pissed off. I told her, I just didn't understand the concept of paying more for smaller sizes which they sell larger sizes for less if one says the magic word of 'meal'. She doesn't say anything, probably a smile and a laugh saying how I should have known would have done the trick, but she just keeps taking orders and keeps her arm extended with her fingers going back and forth motioning payment.

I finally tell her, 'hey--you look like you can use it anyways you eat it (totally wrong as if she really needs to stop eating fried and fast foods!). I pull out of line and she has her head stuck out the window saying something. I get down the highway and call back there to the manager. The manager of course explains that they are supposed to ask if the customer wanted a meal, etc., but she would put my name down in a book at the counter and any time I come back a complete meal would be free. I told her I wasn't calling to get something for free, I was just upset at the complete waste of time and lack of a logical answer or reasoning at the window to just give me the less meal size for the same price as the meal size.

#1 Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Just part of the reason these jobs will be done by touch screens and robots in the near future

• Like Like x 1
  3. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    And better.

The world needs ditch diggers too...

4. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I just am frustrated at the arrogance and the impersonal interaction of a simple transaction that always used to be seamless??? Or, at least when things happened years ago, a simple, smile--hey I gotcha or hey I can fix that, or no problem, etc. Even when there is no leeway to adjust a price, a simple smooth explanation as to why the cashier or clerk did something, instead of the defensive "I don't have to answer to no one attitude'. Not the mater of a buck or two or five, it's the head cocking, the flat out shoulder shrugs and the smirked lips that piss me the fuck off man! I am also in the Midwest and it appears here the states are super tough on the employers for firing people unlike the east coast anyways. I don't know, but I do know when I was on the east coast a while back, things were different.

5. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Me?

6. vegasmeister

vegasmeister
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Maybe you should just keep it simple for the employees and ask for the Filet-O-Fish combo meal next time. You aren't going to get a whole generation of fast food workers to adapt to you... You will need to adapt to them.

7. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

I said the way it went down, and yes, I am pretty sure would have been flawless if I said meal with a choice of coke or sprite, yes. Boom, done. I know it now, but I guess the workers always explained it in 7 to 9 words when I ordered before. Most of the boards have so many possibilities every which way, I stand there trying to figure things out.

But the point is, 'I don't care-I don't know-what happened? How come you don't know the menu better than I do' attitude just sucks.

8. pphold

pphold
    Expand Collapse
    Waffling
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Crazy how they price it and how an person can not see that.

9. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    Are you working at McDonald's?

10. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

No, I also dig ditches. Most of the time with a Caterpillar equipment but once in a blue moon it could be a manuel excavation as well. And, when there is something huge, might opted by choice to dig a ditch all the way around it to stop the flow from travelling. So...............

11. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

I would have caught it at the board but she didn't say the price as to the total as I recall most doing. She told it to me when I got to the window. It was not the principal of the price, it was how less costs more and if it was my business I would have smiled, and said here take it for the meal price, etc.

At my gas station I used to have a certain amount of oil included in oil changes. If the vehicle did not hold a certain amount, I would always tell my guys to give any unused portion in the plastic container to the customer, most complimented how other stations never did that.

12. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Dude... weren't you just cuffed and taken down to the station for a beef with the highway patrol? SIMMER DOWN NOW... I know you feel the patrolman was waaaaay outta line and you're probably right and I know you're not the only one who gets frustrated with fast-food workers, but CHILL... life's a beautiful journey!

You're expecting a minimum-wage employee to justify and explain to your satisfaction corporate menu and pricing policies and strategies? In the words of my guys on ESPN... C'MON MAAAAN!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. lotso-bear

lotso-bear
    Expand Collapse

Fortunate to have awesome employees at my local McDonalds. Always good service. I was surprised the first time I went there. Very hard to find good service at fast food joints nowadays except at Chik-fil-a, who always provides fantastic service.

14. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Almost time for a trip to Vegas. When I get all my jobs done, we have about 15 now since the last 80MPH winds last week and that other full force blizzard, etc., I need to go to the strip. Pink's Hot Dogs catered in the high limit, smack down the table and yelling and screaming, tearing up and throwing cards. It's coming.

• Like Like x 1
  15. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Atta boy... use Las Vegas the way it was intended... let it ALL out and have a BLAST!!!

16. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Its best never to have any expectations when dining at Micky D's. Then you can never be disappointed!

• Like Like x 2