Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Selling a smartphone...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by undathesea, Mar 11, 2016.

1. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    As some of you may recall I just switched over to Project Fi a few weeks ago and it was time to do something with the old Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5.

I wanted to sell it but didn't really know how to go about doing it. It's in pretty excellent shape since it's been in an otter box for its life so I knew it would be worth something. I just didn't know how much. Steep learning curve to selling a phone too... should I unlock it first? (makes it worth more but unnecessary) Do I need to remove the SIM card? (Yes. It's tied to you and not the phone) How do I wipe it? (factory reset wipes the SIM) Where do I market the phone and how do people know that it's not a blacklisted/stolen phone? (you need the MEID/IMEI/ESN from the phone and there are resources on the web that allow you to check to see if the phone is stolen using the number).

I know there are companies that buy smart phones so I checked them out first. Most of them wanted to give me $45-60 for my old phone. I figured at a minimum that's what it was worth.

Next I checked Craigslist. Most of the phones on there are in crappy condition and asking $200+. So, I listed it for $160 and the response was lukewarm and many people wanted to me to meet them at the Sprint store to verify the phone wasn't blacklisted. I'm too lazy for that... I'll take $40 from Gazelle before I meet some yahoo at the Sprint store and hang out for an hour. or two while they activate the phone.

In my research to find out how to sell my phone, I stumbled onto Swappa.com. They're a marketplace for buyers and sellers of used and new smartphones. The service is pretty simple. $10 listing fee. Then you pay Paypal fees and shipping costs. I posted it on Swappa and then posted a link on craigslist. First come, first service, I figure.

To my surprise, it sold in about an hour on Swappa for a net of around $140... sale price was $170... $10 listing fee, $5 Paypal, $15 shipping. The buyers money went straight into my Paypal account. Pretty easy. Dropped it at the UPS store down the road and I'm done. Probably two hours from the time I created the account and went through the listing process to sell the phone. Boom.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever shop for a phone on Swappa. I hate their interface and the entire site seems pretty disorganized. It seems readily apparent they don't have experience UI designers working for them. But as far as selling a phone goes, I'd definitely use them again.

2. AJP

AJP
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I have bought and sold several phones on Swappa and love it, the fact that sellers must provide the IMEI to the site to prove it isnt stolen and current pics with a code on them to prove they have the device is nice protection.

3. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah... I posted this mainly because I had zero clue on how to go about selling a phone and it took about a week to compile enough information before I felt perfectly comfortable doing so. Most information came from different websites, so I had to piece it all together from here and there. I really couldn't find a definitive guide on how to do it or where to go. Most of them were... just sell your phone to a company that buy phones and don't worry about it.

There always comes a time when someone will need to sell a phone and hopefully it can serve someone else in the future.

4. maluhia

maluhia
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thank you for bringing this topic up. We will have phones to sell once we get our new ones picked up and Swappa is offering more than I've seen on other websites.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TBONE3336

TBONE3336
    Expand Collapse
    This space for rent.
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Great info undathesea. Not selling at the moment but good info when I do. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. bcmike

bcmike
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I haven't sold any of my phones yet but if I was going to, I would do it on eBay just because of the market size. Full disclosure, I do work for them so it's your decision. I know in the past that eBay has set out coupons to incentivize people to sell...especially when new models of phones come out.

Looking at completed items (meaning ended listings), Spring Galaxy S5's sell for between $150 to $300 depending on condition.

I don't see S5's in the pre-filled info but if you have a different model for anyone else, check this. Again, just trying to be helpful. Not shilling my company. Do as you please :) .

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

#6 Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dirtyshirley

dirtyshirley
    Expand Collapse
    aka JF3976
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I've sold pretty darn old phones on ebay recently and got a good price. Super easy to search completed auctions to see average price. Tends to be pretty consistent. Just use a really good description and you should be golden :)