Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Restaurant Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Grub' started by Spookster, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Spookster

Spookster
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Weeklong Vegas trip is rapidly approaching and I'm bored at work, so why not start putting together a shortlist of must-try restaurants?

Will be landing with the GF Wednesday night, May 18th and leaving the following Wednesday night. Have friends coming in Friday afternoon and staying until Monday morning.

My itinerary includes 2 night stays at Harrahs, Cosmo, GN, Rio in that order.

Thinking of picking up a MyVegas for either Tender or Rice & Co at Luxor.

Also have $100 diamond dinner to blow at any TR CET properties.

Aside from that, the group (Fri-Mon) wants to hit up the following:
    -buffet
    -seakhouse
    -upscale restaurant
    -burger joint
    -mexican
    -breakfast or brunch
    -thai, chinese, etc
    -pizza ha love how this is censored

We will basically get 3 of each meal type (B, L, D) plus a couple late night booze (et al) induced munchies in the time they are with us.

I'd also like recommendations on how to best spend the diamond dinner on a nice meal for me and the GF.

Budgets are pretty flexible as our only real costs will be meals and transportation (and gambling).

So, everyone, what are your "can't miss" meals when you're in Vegas?

2. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Happy to throw in my two cents ... or a quarter :)

Bouchon is my breakfast go-to because I love the cocktails in particular. It's also fairly rich and hearty, so it can carry you through a degenerate morning.

Lotus of Siam and Chada are my can't-miss Thai places. They're a must every trip for me. Reasonably priced, too.

Love Burger Bar for a burger, but have had good experiences at Gordon Ramsay and the Bobby Flay burger place.

Joe's Stone Crabs or Rao's could be a fun way to blow the $100 diamond dinner ...

My mind is functioning slowly this morning. I'll think of some more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spookster

Spookster
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Testing Tapatalk image uploads as I plan to so a semi-live low roller trip report.

Ocean, thanks for the recommendations. I added them to the growing list.

The drinks at Bouchon do, in fact, sound fantastic. Couldn't help but notice the corpse recover no.2 on there, might have to give that a try as its been talked up quite a bit on the forum

N.B. if anyone spots a place on my list that's absolutely not worth going to, please let me know so I can nix it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I know nothing about CET dining... is there a list of the restaurant that you can use the $100 credit on?

If you like Mexican, try Javiers. The chips, guac, and salsa are the best. The margs are pretty decent. The food is pretty decent as well.

For steak, I like SW for many reasons... but you can get great steak almost anywhere. Prime at Bellagio is another great steak restaurant.

For brunch, try on the Border Grill at the Mandalay Bay for all you can drink mimosas and all you can eat made to order Mexican-style tapas.

The Gordon Ramsey burger place in PHo is great.

Skip the buffet... use the all you can eat Border Grill as the buffet / brunch combo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits

Trips to Vegas:
    FYI... China Poblano is not really Chinese.

And, you've kind of mixed upscale restaurants with some less than upscale restaurants (which is somewhat unfair).

Mesa Grill is one of my favorite. It's southern-style cuisine... think Texas with light Mexican flare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spookster

Spookster
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Unda, Border Grill menu looks too good to pass up. Any difference between the one at Mandalay vs Forum Shops?

I know China Poblano is unique and wasn't sure how to label it. Its kind of a mixed up form of various Asian dished crossed with some Mexican flair, at least that's what I can ascertain from the menu.

Can you elaborate on the upscale vs not? I've only been to Vegas twice and haven't had a chance to experience almost all of the restaurants on my list.

7. Krh2o

Krh2o
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I really liked old homestead. I'm a simple guy, so don't get any apps or any fancy sides, but the steak at old homestead was delicious. I had the ny strip, prob best I've had. Would be a good use of the $100.

Also if ya want another southern option, bruxie, at the park offers chicken waffle sandwiches, which were delicious.

• Like Like x 1
  8. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits

Trips to Vegas:
    Never been to the one at the Forum Shops... so I wouldn't know.

Also, Scarpetta and Carbone are probably the two best Italian places on the strip. I'm try Carbone next week for the first time but been to Scarpetta many times (see: best things I've ever eaten with Ted Allen, Sauced: Spaghetti Pomodoro). Giada has a beautiful dining room and excellent service, but the food is just good... not exceptional.

People rave about Carbone though.

9. Spookster

Spookster
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Bruxie added as I'd like to check out the park, looks like a cool little setup that I've not had the pleasure of visiting.

Checked out Carbone reviews and just had to add it to the list.
    You're weren't kidding, people seem to love this place.

10. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    That drink is my Vegas life blood.

• Like Like x 1