Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Remember when thigns were a bit simpler?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Jul 29, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

My headlight on a Hyundai got smashed the other week. Headlight assemblies are running anywhere on the average from $250.00 to $600.00 or so. Got the body shop to get me a used one for $130.00. Just remembering when I was in high school with a Ford Mustang. Headlight out or smashed, $3.00 or $5.00, a screwdriver, take off the retaining ring and replace. Put the car inside your garage at night and back it up, turn the garage lights out and aim the highlight with a Phillips screwdriver.

Motorcycles. Remembering the Honda Elsinore 125's and 250's. Take the cylinder head off and bring it to the machine shop, get it bored out, larger size piston and get the ones with the double rings. Larger carb. Suddenly the friends can't keep up with their bikes of the same engine size any longer! Not today, don't think it's that easy.

My Mustang had a bad solenoid on it for months. Carried a screwdriver in the car. Turn the ignition on and placed the screwdriver blade across the two terminals posts. Car starts. Not today.

Oh well. Things were simpler back then.

#1 Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    ....manually working the choke and throttle lever directly from the carburetor, while your buddy turns the key. C'mon baby pop.....pop damn it!

• Haha Haha x 1
  3. dahammer

dahammer
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Dead battery in car, no problem, just get someone to help push the car, then pop the clutch. (just like in the movie Little Miss Sunshine).

4. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Yep, standard transmissions no problem. Used to push start my friend's Datsun pick up at high school all the time.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Wichita, KS, 1968. I'm in the Air Force stationed at McConnell. We manage to get dates with two gorgeous Witchita State coeds. My buddies' car did not have a reverse and we also had to push it to pop the clutch. We went to a local college place for dancing, pizza and beer (3.2). My date and I are having a great time when suddenly, the conversation turns to his car. His date says she is not getting back in that car, it is too unsafe. I'm having a panic attack because I really want to make out with my girl. The girls get up saying they are going to the bathroom and never return. Subsequent phone calls are never returned. I never see the girl again.

And that's what a shitty old car could cost you.

(I can't type pizza??) OMG, Italian pie with sauce, cheese and toppings!!

6. MikeyBlacklabber

MikeyBlacklabber
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    my first car was a 62 falcon. changed it from column shift and installed a 3 speed hurst on the floor.
    had a dent in one fender...off to the junkyard with a bag of wrenches and a hcksaw
    an hour later and $20 back home with a replacement.
    had a problem with the throw out bearing. went to the library, borrowed a chiltons, went to
    western auto for a new bearing, spent a saturday afternoon putting it in the starter. cost $3.00
    used to have a set of studded snow tires... added some sand bags to the trunk and that thing never got stuck.
    later on we took out the motor and installed a drive train from a 289 mustang.
    made a lot of $$$ racing guys that thought i just had a six