Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Providing Account Service (Vendors and Suppliers)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Aug 14, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

You know with the other thread about tipping in Vegas, I was thinking this morning. What is real service? Not just providing a warm body to do a job and satisfy something that needs to be done. That is not service, that is regime and necessity. Just cause it is in Vegas, WTF is so special. Anyway, I had a problem a couple weeks ago with an order for my business from a regular supplier of my remedial products. The place I purchase my sorbents, absorbent's, spill pools and granular products, etc. He is not the cheapest around but I have been dealing with the same place for those products since early 2014. To date, probably spent about $300-400k with them. Not a huge client but bigger than some I guess. I have calls and salesmen stop in from some of the large national concerns like, Lab Safety Supply, New PIG and Uline Supply. I buy some stuff from them but when they look at our warehouse and see the extensive inventory of stock items, they are all saying how much they can save us. It is always money, always how they can save us this or that and be better. Funny, how all those national account salesmen all say the exact same thing and almost to verbatim! Seriously.

Well last week I had a problem with my regular supplier of those remedial products. I did not get a pallet of what we call 'wooden ground stakes' which stake down the larger hydrophobic booms to the ground when we need to contain a spill or prevent a spill from going into ground water sources, etc. I was short and ordered them prior to needing them. My delivery was supposed to be here a certain day. It did not show up. The very next day I got a large job and would need to deploy a quantity of the hydrophobic booms and they would have to be staked down to the ground to work. I didn't have the ones that I ordered and was supposed to be here. I called my supplier. 10 minuets later he called and said he was waiting to hear from the truck line that had them. I told him I needed them tomorrow, I don't care, I don't know anything. I need them. He calls me back in about 30 minutes and tells me, Fed Ex will be here tomorrow with a replacement quantity to get me by. The fuck sent me a complete pallet by Fed Ex and calls me that day. Wanted to know if I was taking care of. I told him spot on. He said that there was no invoice and he would eat it, he values us as a customer. About a week later I get the original one on the trucking line it was shipped on and can see they routed it to the wrong place the first time around. That is service the guy gave me when there was a problem. He tackled it, he fixed it and he had the common sense to literally take care of the customer without adding all the usual bullshit and red tape, period.

I have had delays in shipping and wrong products or shorted products from this larger companies I mentioned. It takes time, talking until one is blue in the face and aggravation to get something straightened out with them. I don't know if they would have done what this guy did with the Fed Ex shipment and the 'no cost' and all, but when I was in a jam, I was rescued without any problem at all from him.

About a month ago, one of the companies that does some of my disposals for us calls me. He is sending a salesman down to speak with us about his new line of remedial products he took on. The guy comes here and looks at everything I stock. He is figuring up what their prices would be. He does not have a complete line and all they do is act as a jobber. They will take my order, call the manufacturer and have it dropped shipped. I told him that I was set with the people I am buying from. He looks at me and tells me he can do a bit better on the pricing, etc. I told him I was not interested, If I had reason in the future I would call him. He only had about 60% of what I stock. I can't stop ordering from one source to price cut with another and then get shafted all the way around when there are problems. Because problems do arise. All I seen was pissing off my current supplier and I could not see this guy continually stepping to the plate for someone he has no relationship with. I just don't want to ruin something that is working.

#1 Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

I guess a lot of this goes back to the heavy wrecker business I owned and ran for many years up on the high-line. I had all my regular clients, a good 150 of them with names like; Swift, Penske, Ryder, US Express, Schneider, etc.,etc. I also had the highway patrol and numerous sheriff's department and DOT in two states calling for rotation-call responses, all the one timers and all the small fleet guys when they occasionally broke down or needed something. I would go to great lengths to maintain the best relationships with the biggest fleets. Of course, they always call and their money is gold. When the weather is like 20 below, near zero visibility and snowing on the interstate, there is always plenty of business, but when the weather is 75, sunny and great out--it's a different ball game. So, if a company like Swift would call me year around, I would go to any length to service that customer. When a customer like Ryder may only call me when their regular guy or their 'bid' wrecker service who was 400 miles away, was not available or could not get through, I am sorry--I have to service my other clients first. I will be glad to send a pick up truck to go get your driver, lock the vehicle and put him into a motel until we can get to him. In a service business with a certain amount of trucks and personnel, the shop has a pecking order to follow. It is not we don't want the business, we have to take care of those that are loyal to us and give us the greatest amount or at least those that call us all year long for anything they need in our area, first and foremost.