Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Out of your League

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Packer, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Platinum Linker

I think if you take care of yourself in mind and body, love yourself and your family and the intimidation factor goes way down?
    Then you meet one of these guys... A person with many personality flaws due to bad childhood, their parents, a life crisis or whatever. They are so self absorbed with themselves, project their insecurities onto you and treat you and others as a lesser person. Some would say those individuals are intimidating. Some would say they are assholes. I just let them think you are out of their league and feel bad for them. I politely shake their hand and walk away.

2. TheCooler

TheCooler
    Expand Collapse
    Nimble Navigator
    Founder's Club Diamond Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    It's all about being comfortable with who you are and what you've done. Live your life with no regrets and treat others the way you would want to be treated. I know very rich men who you could never tell they were so unless you saw their bank accounts. On the other hand, I've know folks with little success who want you to believe they are something special. If you treat others with respect regardless of social status, you have nothing to fear. For some it's natural to be awestruck when meeting a President, movie star, or sports great. But it's important to remember they are people first and foremost. If you treat them as such they will likely reciprocate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse

Geoff, both of them aren't my cup of tea either. Pick whoever you want the names were picked because everyone knows of them. You may have missed the point. Or I did.

4. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Yeah that was just me hijacking the discussion...

As for the original discussion, personally I've never had an out of my league issue. I would never even consider it in a friendship/business situation. Dating however i think it could potentially be a issue. I'm honest enough with my self that I realize I'm no model or in super ripped up shape, so the chances I could land a supermodel are super slim. Not that I wouldn't try if I had the chance when I was single but I know most likely it wouldn't happen. That being said my wife is pretty hot so I did ok for sure

5. pressitagain

pressitagain
    Expand Collapse
    VB DEGENERATE Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I agree with you Packer....these people are sociopaths/narcissists.

I am all too familiar with these types of people. We are ALL surrounded by them in our everyday lives (police, judges, politicians..). They are driven by intimidation. Most people are unfamiliar with who they are(assholes). They are much worse than that.....

If anyone encounters one....RUN!!!!!

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I can't see the usual suspects here being shrinking violets. It just doesn't run with the personality types. Some of the poseurs, yes, but the players and the business whiz kids? You don't achieve by thinking someone just has mojo or whatever you don't. Mama didn't raise no losers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pressitagain

pressitagain
    Expand Collapse
    VB DEGENERATE Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    You might be surprised at how many losers, mama DID raise?!?

A majority of society (and even this board) will never know what/who they are. We are even graced with their presence, on VB.

They blend into society extremely well. Not all the top dogs BUT many more than mama knows about!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. JasonVegas222

JasonVegas222
    Expand Collapse

It is true that usually a person has to have competency in some area of expertise to be successful. But no one is the best at EVERYTHING, and so it is natural to be "intimidated", or perhaps the other term "awestruck", by others who are clearly in a different league in something where one is not an expert or has strength.
    These areas will be different for everyone.
    For me, I used to be intimidated by beautiful women. But now, not so much, LOL!
    And if I had to tee it up with Tiger or Phil etc, that would be intimidating.
    Etc. etc.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse

Well said!

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    But do you have to be the "best" not to be intimidated or awestruck in another arena? That's a choice.

While some could argue the chicken/egg angle -- in this case cost and time availability -- but I think golf is a great example of a pursuit that is the purview of a far larger percentage of confident, successful -- hell, one for the Maslow fans -- self-actualized people than the general populace. It is a game designed around failure; takes a bit of spine (and Sergio as your closest competitor) to get a quad on Saturday and still win on Sunday, to shoot 21 strokes over you index and show up the next weekend. And who is that guy you were just paired with, is he some bigwig in some capacity? I've never teed it up with Tiger or Phil but I've played a lot of golf with folks far beyond my "skill set" in golf, business, whatever -- professional golfers, great athletes from other sports, kagillionaires. They really don't give a fuck how well you play, they just hope like hell you're not a vanity handicapper or a volcano. Have fun, be sociable, be interesting. If you get three birdies, that's great. They'd rather have you be a good Joe.

Maybe I've been married too long, the pursuit has faded into a nostalgic memory, but it seems to me "beautiful" women want honesty, humor, sensitivity and confidence. If the lack of a Ferrari on that list renders you moot, then I'd suggest she is far from beautiful.

• Like Like x 2