Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Only One Sigma Derby Machine Left!

Discussion in 'Slots & Video Poker' started by vegasmacker, Mar 7, 2016.

1. vegasmacker

vegasmacker
    Expand Collapse
    VP Bar Degenerate
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    LVA is reporting that the sigma derby machine at MGM Grand as broken down and is not going to be replaced!

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

The Sigma Derby machine at MGM holds a special place in my heart, because back in the day when we had smaller bankrolls this used to be our bread and butter. That along with the $5 PGP at Barbary Coast, used to be a great way to sit around, gamble cheap and drink as much alcohol as our livers would allow. I don't think I've played the one at MGM in the last 5 years, but I did get to reminisce in December at the D. After a great dinner at Andiamos we came out and there was only a couple people on the machine thats just outside the entrance. We played for an hour, where drink service was prompt. I yelled at the horses, I swore at them, I called them names that only Glen would repeat when talking about Sonya. After an hour I think I had spent $40, had half a dozen cocktails and a lot of fun. Could I do that every night? no, but it was fun to relive some memories. I am sad to see the one at MGM go. As mentioned about, the only one left now is at The D

• Like Like x 1
  2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Never actually played, but it's sad it's gone/going..

3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I recounted this story on VMB back in the day, but here it is again. So at the MGM Sigma Derby, and this is going back maybe 15 (?) years ago, one guy was consistently killing the Sigma Derby machine. Couldn't lose. He was always betting on the correct horses. The hold was way down on that machine. I can't remember the how's or why's now, but apparently there were like only 500 or so combinations of horse races loaded in the machine. This guy had played so much that he memorized the exact order of the races, and he was betting each race for hours on end since he knew the outcome. Once.the makers of Sigma Derby found this out, the races became more randomized and not just on a loop of the same 500 races played consistently in a row. Thought that was a great story of a gambler gaming the system (legally of course)

• Like Like x 2
  4. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Lol, that's like the unemployed ice cream truck driver who beat that gameshow "press your luck"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse
    Lethal
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I'll buy it from them if they don't want it? Would look good in my game room.

6. Natural9

Natural9
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    That is too bad. My first trip to Vegas in 1997 I played that game for 8 straight hours drinking bud lite and tipping the waitress quarters.

Last time I played it was about a year ago. Had 200 quarters in there, cashed out. The machine could only spit out like 100 quarters and needed a fill. I walked away and left the money could not be bothered waiting for an attendant. I guess times have changed!

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa
    Expand Collapse
    Front Line Winner
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    That sucks.

We used to have some good times playing in that table. Always had to bet the long shot because I never wanted to be that guy who wasn't on it when it hit. I seem to recall hitting it two or three times.

But I haven't played in the last couple trips because it was always packed.

8. akhoya362

akhoya362
    Expand Collapse
    JV Gambler

Trips to Vegas:
    Glad I had a chance to play the machine at MGM at least once during my October trip. Sad to see it gone -- it was a true relic of harmless degeneracy. (Er, I hope no one's developed a gambling problem by playing Sigma Derby.)

9. SlotMan

SlotMan
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    It'll be back. They are repairing it

10. vegasmacker

vegasmacker
    Expand Collapse
    VP Bar Degenerate
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Source?