Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Old 3 Reel vs New Slots..

Discussion in 'Slots & Video Poker' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    When I was married my wife and I played mainly slots and most, if not all, the slot machines were 3 reel back then. Blazing 7's,,, Top Dollar,,etc,,,,

The last years I've been going solo and have just played table games...But I read these newer slots like Flintstones and Walking Dead etc.. are fun...

Are these newer slots very different than the older reel slots. They look more intricate when I walk by them....

What are the differences and are the newer ones fun?

Which are some of the best ones to look for.?. Thanks..

Tags:
  2. Robbo

Robbo
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I don't play slots too much, but the new ones are fun. You may get a decent hit, and not even know how you won lol. But they are entertaining.

3. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    There really are no "best" ones because they all take your money. Walking Dead, Flinstones, Willy Wonka, Wizard of OZ, Lord of the Rings are all popular. My last trip I had good luck with Dragon Spin. I play more VP than slots now.

4. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The issue with the newer themed slots is that, at least generally speaking, they have lower payouts (on a percentage basis) than the older 3-reels. Part of it is because the video slots tend to be pennies, which are lower across the board; part of it is because they have to pay licensing fees, which cuts into the payouts.

5. Kentry

Kentry
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Like one gambler said on here, it is best to avoid games where there is a licensing fee to be paid, usually with big name shows, movie, and celebrities, such as The Big Bang Theory, Titanic, and Britney Spears(BS actually was giving out literal pennies(like 5 cents back) on 50 cent bets! BS certainly lives up to it's abbreviation! What the hell? Just a damn shame).

It's best to stick to very generic games such as "It's Money Time!" (made that one up ;) or the very real Wolf Run. Games that are not linked to shows, movies, or celebrities are your best bet. Also avoid flashy slots such as Ainsworth(interesting as the name itself almost says, "Aint worth,"just the name is a red flag) as they figure "entertaining" you is worth the low payout. As someone once said, "Flashy slot machines are really just glorified video games."

Old school slots such as IGT and Aristocrat, games that the symbols don't "move" much, for example, Wolf Run slot by Aristocrat, the symbols kind of "blink," when you get a winning line, but they aren't dancing erratically or anything like that like the flashy slots do.

Good rule of thumb. If the symbols are dancing erratically, it's made mostly for entertainment and to take your money faster and best to avoid it. If the symbols just kind of "blink" when you win and aren't dancing erratically, it's pays out more(for example, in IGT Treasures Of Troy, Helen just kind of "winks" at the player when you get her in a winning line, and her male suitors just have a small "flash" behind them in their winning lines. A "blink,"small "flash," "wink" whatever "small" movement when a win happens means the game is made mostly for paying out and should be played.

IGT and Aristocrat slots are known for giving big wins on small bets, for example, 50 Dragons by Aristocrat gives $85 on a 10 cent bet for getting two full lines of the Dragon(highest paying symbol), whereas getting a full screen of Gremlins on The Gremlins Movie on a $2.50 bet is only worth $500. Going by the 50 Dragons example, if only two lines of Dragons gets you $85 on just a 10 cent bet, a full screen of Gremlins on a $2.50 bet should get you over $2,000. Like I said, licensed games should be avoided.

Also, flashy games(Ainsworth in particular) tend to give sht payouts for their full lines. I was disgusted when another player got a full line of a premium symbol and only got like 5 times his bet(played .50, and got like $2.50 for a premium symbol. That's a crappy payout for a full line!

Also, just a word to the wise. Games with progressives tend to have crappy "normal" lines. For example, in the progressive slot game, Electric Boogaloo, a full line of The Dancing Queen is only worth $2, whereas a full line of Cleopatra in non progressive Cleopatra is worth $100, although in Electric Boogaloo, it is easy to get $40 on just a nickel when the progressive shows up.

#5 Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1