Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

New York City - Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aaronw915, May 21, 2016.

1. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Wife and I are flying out next Friday and heading to the city for Memorial Day weekend. Will probably do a few touristy things but not that many. We like getting off the beaten path and away from the tourist crowds. Staying in Manhattan near Penn Station and will be using as much subway, LIRR, and other public transit available and looking forward to venturing out.

This is my first time there while she's been there 4 or 5 times but mainly for weddings. Will be definitely going to Brooklyn to visit some of her family.

Chelsea Market, Battery/Central Park, and World Trade Center Memorial are definite on our list but other than that we are playing it by ear. Was hoping there would be some locals on here, ex locals, or even people who travel there a lot that could give some recommendations on where to go for great food including pi z z a, Mexican, and Italian as well as any other cool off the beaten path places that NYC has to offer that often go over looked.

2. SDSteve

SDSteve
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I know beer... Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen on 10th, there is a pizza place next door called Kiabacca that has the same owners and a great beer selection too, Blind Tiger on Bleeker, Gingerman in midtown. I know a few good restaurants, but there are tons of great places. Italian, stay downtown, little Italy. Mexican not so much. The Highline park is cool. Hoboken, NJ is pretty fun to go out. You can take the Path train from Penn I think to get there. Haven't spent much time in Brooklyn, but I hear there are some great places...

3. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Since you're by penn station you should def swing over to Korea town for a meal. I personally like don's bogam but any of them will be fine.

ippudo or Jin ramen for ramen noodles (long waits at both especially ippudo), or yakatori totto if you liked grilled skewers of meat.

If you can't tell, I really like my Asian food. Oh yea if you want a ridiculously expensive and delicious sushi restaurant, I'd recommend masa ($500/pp pre fixe)...better than any of the sushi had in Tokyo including a 3* one.

4. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes, Hoboken is a fun place to hang out and very easy to walk around as many bars are close to the the PATH train station if you have any interest getting out of the city for the night. You can take the PATH from either the World Trade Center or Penn station. You just need to be aware you are on the correct train to Jersey as one train goes to Hoboken and one goes to Newark.

A good place to eat at in Little Italy and not very expensive Is Pellegrinos. My brother and sister in law really enjoy the place and eat there most times they head into the city.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Also if you are going from the WTC down to Battery park there is a walk way along the Hudson River which can keep you away from the city traffic.

Enjoy the trip

5. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for the Hells Kitchen suggestions Steve. I was going to try and get there and check out the West Gotham Market as well

6. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Hadn't even thought of Korea town. I love sushi but wife doesn't. Maybe i'll see if she wants to try some ramen. Thanks Jason

7. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Not sure if we will make it over to Hoboken on this trip but thanks for the pro tip on the Hudson River walk way path. Much appreciated. Yelp'd Pellegrinos and it looks good. Gonna add it to the list of maybes.

Right now the only guarantee is the Redhead Friday night. Her favorite thing in the world is a pretzel and she really wants to try the one we saw on DDD.

8. Hobofrank

Hobofrank
    Expand Collapse
    Prime Minister of Idiocracy
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Are you going to sign up for the lottery on Hamilton tix?...think there are 2 shows daily

9. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Haven't heard about the lottery. Will have to look that up.

Wife did really want to see the show and told her I'd buy the tix if she wanted to go but then she saw the prices and she said 'fuck those crazy ass prices. Maybe we can scalp them!'

She's a ticket scalping clown haha

10. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

You can wait in line to buy tickets for day of. I forget if its first come first serve or some lottery (I recall reading somewhere they were changing the rules, was first come first serve before). You're going to end up waiting in line all day I think for tickets based on what I've heard from others who have waited