Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

My Vision for VB

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shifter, Mar 7, 2016.

1. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    The Chairman
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    my vision for this site, in its simplest form, has always been to be a place that I want to go. a place where the members are respected as the life blood of the community and not treated as slaves serving their plantation masters. a place where people can have different opinions and express those freely and openly. a place that's fun and interesting and peoples' personalities are free to shine.

but at the same time, I've never wanted this place to be a wild-wild-west, free-for-all where some members trample on the community with their strong opinions. that doesn't create a place that's fun for anyone. so I will be the first to admit that I certainly haven't done everything right this first month. I've erred on the side of letting a bit too much go, which probably makes sense after leaving a dictatorship regime, but hasn't helped support the community as much as I would have liked.

I'm learning and growing with how to manage everything here and everybody and how to keep it running smoothly. But I have a lot more learning to continue to do and it's going to be a process. I've been on several successful forums over the years and learned a lot from the leaders of those forums, but it's still a process for me to find my own way and how best to lead here to create the community that we all want.

so I thank you for your patience with me with things that may not be running super smoothly at times and thank you for your continued feedback about what you like and what you'd like to see change.

I'm grateful for everyone who's here and supported this place from the beginning and I am committed to making this the best Vegas forum on the planet.

ETA: I've edited this post and this thread because I've decided to keep the focus on the future and let the past be the past. Anyone who has any questions about the past can feel free to contact me at any time.

#1 Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 30
  2. bayoubengal

bayoubengal
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I know the guy that runs the largest lsu fan message board and he has to deal with a lot of the same stuff. Perhaps sonya's moderation of the EI comments were a bit heavy handed but ive seen him have to deal with similar things regarding lsu and general sports stuff. I think the best thing is to have a clear set of guidelines and be able to give an explanation of why a topic is deleted, someone banned etc.

He basically says don't post anything illegal, don't post people's personal info and no personal attacks.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jinx

Jinx
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    You've done well in kicking this site off, it helps that you put together a pretty impressive number of members early on and many of them are engaged, which is definitely critical to how well the site will grow/continue.

4. pressitagain

pressitagain
    Expand Collapse
    VB DEGENERATE Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I apologize if anyone feels like I overstepped with some comments...it's not my intention to hurt people. I am very sarcastic and enjoy joking around.

Your site, is part of my daily routine...it will remain that way until, I am no longer welcome.

I believe that self moderation is a good start but sometimes we can get carried away with our comments...intentional/not. I have no problem with anyone telling me to back off/slow down (if needed).

You started a GREAT thing here...it's different...that's refreshing!!!!

I wish you continued success!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ketelmaster

Ketelmaster
    Expand Collapse
    aka 98Seahawk
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks Shifter for the insight and for starting this site. I'm sure it's time consuming considering you probably have more things going on besides the board so thanks again. GL this weekend.

6. sdbruin619

sdbruin619
    Expand Collapse
    Say Whaaaaa?
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for giving the background info Shifter. I was curious. I hope this site is a continued success. And your knowledge of comps and experiences is fantastic along with natedogg. Thanks again.

7. Krh2o

Krh2o
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I like the look of this board. I like when you go to a thread it takes you right were you left off. I like the way people can express themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeadManHand

DeadManHand
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing your journey and vision. Your openness is refreshing.

9. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Personally whilst I undoubtedly gained a lot of insight / value from VMB when posting ad-hoc questions first learning about Vegas do's and don'ts. I struggled to feel part of a community, without making this sound too insecure I felt that it was so established I had no place. Here I feel welcome, I've no concern about posting on multiple threads and really enjoy the variety of discussion and opinion. I prefer to tread the fine line between politically correct and not only because that suits my humor and the ability to do that without malicious intent is what appeals with this site.

I'd say great job so far and the job to build and learn is not yours alone, it us up to the community to shape itself as much as it is for you to shape it.

Congrats man!

Although a few more posts UK time would be a bonus ;-)

10. MOinVAN

MOinVAN
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Shifter, thank you for creating this site. Your board is exactly what I've been looking for!

A little background. When some got 86'd from LVA, we joined VegasRex (shoutout to Riders - great guy!!) we had tons of fun in Vegas and on the boards.

After joining and reading VMB I soon realized the pendulum had swung from the sublime to the rediculous regarding my Vegas community. Never posted but really laughed at several of your members contributions and loved their trip reports. I noticed all my favourites gone and found you here.

A cursory read of several posts tells me this is going to be fun and informative.

Oh, and I've met Ken2V and Beeejay (MaureenC to you guys) or should I admit that?

• Like Like x 2