Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

My Favorite Trip Besides Las Vegas

Discussion in 'There's More To Life Than Vegas?' started by Hoofy7, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ski-Doo-rider

Ski-Doo-rider
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I agree 100% I don't know how my parents did it, I had a great Childhood, mmmmm grape Shasta..don't forget Fanta. Yes it was an amazing time to grow up, I wouldn't trade my childhood of growing up in the 80's for anything. Please don't take my posts as me whining, complaining, or being bitter, because that is just not the case. My life, is my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

#11 Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Stompers, GI Joe, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Dukes of Hazzard, The Incredible Hulk, Superman, Atari 2600, Pong, wired remotes....

Those were the days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ski-Doo-rider

Ski-Doo-rider
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    loved my stomper 4x4!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Geography plays into that. We don't Bermuda or Bahama or Carib because Hawaii is a five-hour flight for us and we often use miles. And like elsewhere, Hawaii gets hugely fucking expensive when you're booking 10 days at, say, Four Season Hualalai, and eating every meal on property. But you can private rent just up the coast for a fraction of that. One of our best finds ever over there was a 3/3 house on the crashing surf of south-shore Kauai that was $450/night and we split it with two other couples. Hit the fish market and the farm stand, Costco even, eat great at home and then target where and when you want to eat out. Then do part of the trip at a swankery, if desired.

5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Older than Nick here but that is an echo of my voice I'm hearing. :thumbsup: Joshua Tree, Borrego, Death Valley, the Sierra, the Arizona and Utah wonderparks, the Cascades and Oregon Coast, Mt. Rainier, the Wallowas ... lotsa tent and VW van time; the family loaded up and driving coast to coast, both U.S. and Canada ... we didn't have nor need a LearJet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    For those looking at doing island escapes on a budget, look into renting a timeshare. Weeks are available on eBay and a host of other sites, and normally you can get a nice 1 or 2 bedroom on or next to the water for less than a hotel room.

Hit up the local island grocery and stock up on beer, vino, cold cuts, pastries, OJ etc and enjoy breakfast and lunch on your balcony or kitchenette and then dinner out. You're only springing for 7 meals per week and will enjoy the convenience of home away from home.

There are ways to travel on the cheap without hurting the vacation experience. Enjoying a mimosa or 3 and a pastry while watching the sunrise from your oceanview balcony isn't the worst way to vacation.....

7. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Mine is Sonoma and Napa in California. Usually a 5-day/2-day split between the two. This year, with the new baby and lots going on at work, will be the first year since 2002 we haven't made it ... but next spring, wrecking it. I love it out there. Such a happy place. And such great people. There is something magical about your only concerns being what you will eat and drink next!

Of course, I also need to trek down south to visit Ken's neck of the woods!

8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Any time, bud, any time. We'll even get you out playing golf! :sneaky:

Most folks have go-to places in the repertoire, it's only natural. And then they mix in new stuff. Vegas doesn't seem to be the only-go here it does at other sites where I've resided over the years, even as Sin City is enjoyed to a estimable degree here.

As I wrote and nick echoed, you don't have to think far outside the box to open up any number of vacation destinations perhaps dismissed as "too expensive." A big start that direction is avoiding the blinding allure of the package deal. Sure sure, check 'em out, but rare in my experiences is the one that beats a la carte shopping, if you don't need the "comfort" of something turnkey and pre-arranged. And the private rental drives a spike through the heart of the hotelier cartel ... and the food assault-and-battery cohort.