Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Moving trs

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Broncofn, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncofn

Broncofn
    Expand Collapse
    The OG Habibi Hugger Founder's Club Gold Linker

wasnt sure how to move trip reports over here so I'm following shifters advice and hope it works

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    !!

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Register or Login

Please let me know if these actually work and will move the rest of them over

#1 Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Broncofn looks good i had no problem reading them a 2nd time around. Once is not enough

3. thefish2010

thefish2010
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Did you mean to just link to the threads at VMB or was something else supposed to happen?

4. Broncofn

Broncofn
    Expand Collapse
    The OG Habibi Hugger Founder's Club Gold Linker

Not to link it from vmb which looks like what ive done but to basically move the text and pictures of the trs here. Shifter told me to edit but i couldnt figure it out. Im not good with this stuff.

5. SuperPocky

SuperPocky
    Expand Collapse
    Mirage owns my fucking ass....
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah I'd like to move mine here to if possible, but like Broncofn I'm not good with these stuff.

Any easy way to do this?

6. thefish2010

thefish2010
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

i assume you're just wanting to grab all of your posts in each thread and put them in a thread here as individual posts? Or combine them into one big post? Or maybe grab the initial post and then only posts you made with pictures on them?

Tell me which of those scenarios you want. I could write a quick program that could do it. I am a little busy today but could probably get it done at some point tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperPocky

SuperPocky
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm thinking about bringing everything over, like my individual posts and other people's responses.

For me, because my 2 trip reports were true live, a big part is the interaction with other members, without other people's input the TRs simply don't mean much.......but I'm thinking bringing other feedbacks to this site may not be possible because most are not registered on this site?

I could try to re-write everything but it's going to be a big job, not sure if I can ever get it done.

Thanks for the good intention though Fish, much appreciated!

8. thefish2010

thefish2010
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I think I'll probably write it anyway at some point over the weekend or next week and if anyone wants to use it they can, but it would only grab your own posts, for one simple reason: copyright. Even if you do it manually, I would strongly suggest that you not copy any responses to your TR's - only your own posts. You own your content but Sonya owns everything else. There is obviously bad blood and Sonya et al would love nothing more than a deep pocketed foe to go after in Shifter. I don't think any of us want to cause him any problems.

Theoretically Shifter is covered by the DMCA as long as he complies with takedown requests. So if you copy a thread from there, Sonya could send Shifter a takedown request and that would be that. However there are many technicalities involved with the DMCA. For example, one of the tiny details that most sites owners miss is that in order to have immunity under the DMCA they must register an agent to receive takedown requests with the US Copyright Office and pay a $105 fee for doing so (I checked, VMB has not done this and is thus liable for any copyright infringement committed by their users). That may sound like a small thing, but most of the sites that think they are covered by it don't know this - the most notable example is MegaUpload. They didn't have a registered agent for much of their existence, and this is one of the arguments the US made to claim that they did not have DMCA safe harbor protection from the actions of their users. They seized hundreds of millions of dollars and are pursuing criminal charges against the founders in part because of this tiny issue.

@shifter - if you haven't registered an agent, do it. It could save you serious headaches, and only costs $105.
    Register or Login
    some info about why you need to do it, and
    Register or Login
    the actual form you need to file.

#8 Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  9. SuperPocky

SuperPocky
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Solid point, never thought about copyright issue! And even if it doesn't help me, it will likely help others. Thanks a ton Fish!

I assume the program you plan to write will only bring the text part over, but images will have to be re-inserted, right?

If so, just a word of caution for people reading this. I'm not sure how many are like me that a lot of random/unimportant pictures (like my guess what slot is this pictures) are taken through tapatalk without keeping the pictures on my iPhone. Moving the text part only here will mean a lot of lost images.

Hope this isn't true for most people, I'm a weirdo when it comes to doing trip reports, haha!

10. thefish2010

thefish2010
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

No, I will make it grab images as well - in fact that's probably the main benefit of writing a program to do the copying. BTW the DMCA stuff is for Shifter to deal with, not for end users. But there isn't much point in bringing over other people's responses if they'll trigger a takedown request because they'll vanish anyway. Interestingly, I just checked (
    Register or Login
    ) and VMB doesn't have a registered agent, which means that they aren't covered by the DMCA either even though I'll bet they think they are. A board of that size not doing it is insane...huge liability.

#10 Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.