Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Recap Miami for a quick weekend

Discussion in 'There's More To Life Than Vegas?' started by DannyOcean, May 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Had never spent any significant time in Miami, so took Mrs. Ocean over to the Mandarin Oriental for a "babymoon" weekend. Nothing on the agenda except beach, pool, spa, and good eating. In a nutshell: I highly recommend Miami. Easy weekend getaway, great weather, great vibes, great people. The drivers live up to their insane reputation, but it was a great time, and I'd definitely go back. Very much a Vegas-style party spirit there.

Some high points:

1. Renting with Silvercar is insanely easy and priced very competitively. Will do it again.

2. First flight on American Airlines in years, and it was better than expected. United just couldn't compete on price. (Shocking!)

3. The Mandarin in Brickell Key is just fantastic. A+ service and accommodations. Had a junior suite, and it was spectacular. Great views of the bay and downtown. Very good insulation, so you felt like you were in a cocoon, even with airplanes going over toward MIA. Fantastic spa and gym. MO Bar and service were top-notch.

The restaurant scene blew me away. Lot of good food, each of which will be highlighted below with pics. Overall, not much to report other than that because we just sat by the pool or on the beach and soaked up the sun and read. I read about Vegas, naturally.

The view from the room:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

And at the pool:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

#1 May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    First night, we hit up Yardbird. Lives up to its popular reputation and was fantastic.

Fried Green tomatoes were great:
    Register or Login

As were the mac and cheese and cornbread:
    Register or Login

Register or Login

Main event was the fried chicken, which was superb. But I'd do the biscuits over the cheddar waffle the next time:

Register or Login

Register or Login

The charred okra with lemon and farmer's cheese were a huge, pleasant surprise:

Register or Login

• Like Like x 2
  3. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Next day for lunch, we hit Cafe Versailles. Didn't go adventurous; just enjoyed the classics:

Register or Login

Register or Login

Register or Login

• Like Like x 2
  4. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    That night for dinner, ventured into a transitional area to check out Alter. This is a fun, vibrant, skilled restaurant. Very laid back atmosphere but with serious food and a great tasting menu. Two blocks away? Some sort of open-air rap concert going on! It was eclectic to say the least. But part of the fun.

Cured cobia, just fantastic:

Register or Login

Bread to accompany the second course:

Register or Login

Second course: a soft-cooked aged with a scallop "espuma" and gruyere chip. Their signature dish and a worthy one. Textural and beautifully flavored:

Register or Login

Register or Login

Then to grouper cheeks with hollandaise, which was fantastic:

Register or Login

They played it safe with the meat course, a short rib that was cooked beautifully but worked best in combination with the rest of the plate:

Register or Login

And chocolate mousse with a lightly minted ice cream for dessert; beautiful texture:

Register or Login

Had their excellent house gimlet with garden culantro to start, then the wine pairings:

Register or Login

All in, the menu is $65 per person plus $35 for the wine pairing. A screaming deal, if you ask me.

Alter's chef, Bradley Kilgore, was in the house and very nice. Just received a nomination as one of Food & Wine magazine's best new chefs for 2016. Absolutely worthy of it. This was a fun restaurant and great food.

• Like Like x 5
  5. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Final night? Kept it simple. After a long day of spa and pool time? Joe's Stone Crabs. Enough said:

Register or Login

• Like Like x 6
  6. grando1.0

grando1.0
    Expand Collapse

That looks amazing. Looks like I'll have to take a trip one of these times. Good to see you had a good time.

7. jonnyvegas

jonnyvegas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Looks like it was an awesome get away. I was only to Miami once. Spent a couple of nights before a cruise. Had a great time. The $65 tasting menu sure sounds like a steal. How was Joe's compared to Vegas?

8. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Oh yes! Joe's ... I meant to say this originally. I've been to Joe's in Vegas and Chicago ... they're both excellent. The stone crab at the original, however, was head and shoulders the best I've ever had. Just exceptionally good. The steaks in Chicago are better. I think Vegas wasn't quite as good, but still excellent. Great stuff.

Alter was a lot of fun. I expected it to be good, but the food was playful and well-executed. Great technique from the kitchen.

9. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I was surprised -- it was a blast. I expected to have fun, but it just went beyond expectations. Great town.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    "What doesn't kill you makes you strong."
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I wondered how your visit would go.
    Miami really does have a unique vibe that is almost palatable. A pulse of its own.
    You could almost see Il Gabbiano from your hotel. If you go back, give it a try, love to get your take.