Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Master's Degree

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cokeboy99, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Cokeboy99

Cokeboy99
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Starting work on my Master's of Science in Accounting Tuesday. nervous, excited, and apprehensive all at once. I was able to get through my bachelor's relatively easily while working full-time, but my concern about the Master's is the amount of writing, which isn't my strong suit. I know this will be beneficial in the long run, but it will also be a lot of work. I'm 38 years old, and I currently work in a payroll analyst position. There aren't many accounting positions available at the moment in my area, and there are enough applicants with prior experience that it's difficult to get a foot in the door.

I'm concerned about the cost vs reward, although once I finish I intend to sit for the CPA exam (likely after a prep course) which should also help me in the job search.

Just wanted to let it out....I'm sure others have done this and succeeded, but like I said, I'm nervous now for some reason. I was nervous before the Bachelor's and it turned out quite well (3.92 GPA out of 4.0).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hank

Hank
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Best of luck! :beercheers:

I've just returned to school to get another bachelor's - CS/Engineering...a bit less comical than my worthless History/Poly Sci degrees. Despite feeling so fucking old (41, here) it's kinda fun, right?

3. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm in a master's program at UVA at 43.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Several friends went back for MBAs in their 40s, one chased down a JD. My wife earned her MPA/MBA while working full time in her late 30s. Good luck, eye on the prize!

5. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah, Mrs VBJ as well in her late 30's / early 40's working full time and looking after us clowns at home. She got her MS in Nursing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

Good luck to you. Do you have kids? At one time I looked into getting my MS in Engineering, but with work and kids, I just wasn't motivated enough to fight through, even with company paid tuition assistance. At that point with that company it would have been a 8% increase in pay.

Now for me it would strictly be a personal goal, as there isn't really much difference at this point in my career with that degree, Bachelor's degree +20 years experience. I have no desire for an MBA program, as I dont want to be a manager. I am too afraid it would be painful when you get a management position, as I can only assume that the orientation program is to take you into the back room and beat the common sense out of you.

7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    You got a keeper, too.

8. Cokeboy99

Cokeboy99
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks Ken! My prize is better job opportunities, and starting a job search in the Las Vegas area....I'm ready to get out of Illinois for sure, and why not just head to the place I love??

9. Cokeboy99

Cokeboy99
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    No ids, so that's a little less to deal with. I'm just not a big fan of writing papers, and I know that the program I'm in (Master's of Science in Accounting) involves a lot of writing....but hopefully it's worth it in the long run! Even with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, there just don't seem to be a lot of job opportunities, but that's partly due to the area I live in, I'm afraid.