Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Man killed in car.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Packer, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I haven't watched the video - I just can't. I also have seen something in the news where cops had a man pinned down and then shot him dead. I have friends and family in law enforcement. Most people in law enforcement are wonderful. There is always a few bad apples in every profession. However, something needs to be done to weed these people out. I don't know if it is a lack of training or vetting prospective candidates enough. Once someone gets on a police department it is very hard to get rid of them.

Several years ago my son -- then around 25 y.o. was driving down main street in our town. Population then around 8,000. It was around 10 pm -- so it was dark. Main street is an undivided street 4 lanes - 2 on each side of the yellow line, and no turn lanes unless at a traffic light. He was in the left lane. Someone pulled up behind him and started riding his bumper. He was going the speed limit of 30 mph. He said he tapped his brakes hoping the guy would back off. Immediately lights started flashing. It was a state trooper -- woman.

He knows how to act when pulled over. He followed all of her directions - she made him get out of the car. He asked why she pulled him over. She said that he should have pulled over to the right to let traffic pass because that was the law slower traffic drives on the right. He said to her that is the law when it is posted on the interstates and highways. This was on Main street. He told her was going to turn left after a couple of more streets. She told him that it was still a highway. It is US 87 when you get out of the city limits and there are no more traffic lights. She then asked him if he had any drugs in the car and asked if she could search it. He told her to search away -- I got mad at him for that -- it is just BS. She gave him a warning ticket for not pulling over to the right to let her pass. -- She did not have lights or sirens on until she pulled him over.

2. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Platinum Linker

I know! Me too. I put my hands on 10:00 and 2:00 and just do whatever they say. But sometimes they are such assholes with chips on their shoulders that you really want to say something and ask why are you so mad and stop projecting your issues and problems onto me? But we don't and that is a different thread.
    The cop in this situation didn't wake up wanting to shoot someone. Why did he pull his gun in the first place? And why was this man automatically a threat when he told the officer he had a cancelled weapon permit? Also, was this officer indeed thinking this guy is black and going to shoot me? Im sorry to say if it was me pulled over in my bmw in Calabasas ca this wouldn't have happened. Pretty sad all the way around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wanker751

wanker751
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Packer I work with African American youth on a daily basis. Racism is real. The country wants to sweep it under the rug but it is real. The police do treat you and I very different in traffic stops.

I have seen the police mistreat kids in school. I saw a cop separate a kid's shoulder. When I reported it to child services (as a mandated reporter I had to cause it looked like abuse to me), I was told police were exempt from investigation in such matters...

I am very shaken by the two events, I did watch the video in LA, cannot take myself to watch this one... I started to but it was too hard, too soon. There is just too much hatred in the world and in this country.

First time I got pulled over I got out of the car! Really stupid I didn't know I was just a kid.. the cop told me to get back in... but again I am a white guy, if I were black things could have ended way different.

While I cannot speak from the perspective of an African American in these situations, this guy can. He is a local sports radio host who I respect a lot. This is real shit and real emotion, watch it or listen to it.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

4. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    This is the main takeaway. I can't help but feel most unhappy about the little girl in the back seat who could have been killed as well and also had to witness that. That girl will have to live with that scar the rest of her life. What a tragedy all the way around.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The fact that this probably won't happen is what scares me the most, though.

I agree that you should listen to the cops if they pull you over, but not doing so shouldn't be a license to open fire. Four shots is insane. And more importantly, the man in Minnesota was killed at least in part because the officer was told that he had a gun -- when, at the same time, much of this country is trying to insist on more access to firearms and an expansion of both open and concealed carry. If we expand the number of people who are armed, then "I thought he was armed" shouldn't be an excuse for a police officer to murder someone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Platinum Linker

Yes unda, and how is she going to feel about authority figures and police from now on not to mention the other mental anguish she well live with the rest of her life. Terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    This is an excellent point. "Respect the police" is very, very different from "be terrified of the police and do whatever they say because otherwise they might start shooting".

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff
    Expand Collapse

Wife and I went out to eat tonight in the vicinity of the 1000 ppl protesting @ MN Governor's mansion, sad vibe in the air, but it was nice to see all kinds of ppl congregating together in peace. Really hope Minnesota somehow someway sets the example of change.

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    The 800-pound gorilla that cannot be ignored is race. Period. And this ever-polarizing, ever-hostile, ever-partisan American we are increasingly unable to deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    OMG, just got a news feed. Snipers opened fire on Dallas cops. Several fatalities.