Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Recap Live from encore 1/28-30 - Geoff wins a rolex?--the recap

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by geoff, Feb 7, 2016.

1. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

It's been a week so i thought i'd update with some post trip thoughts. I started this one over at the other board, but i'll continue here:

here's how i started that other tr (i'll address my pre-trip plans )

Leaving tomorrow am from JFK on virgin america in main cabin select (ie econ plus/ ie free drinks,snacks,movies)
    as of now we have the row to ourselves (wife and i) so we decided not forgo an upgrade to first class.

Usually we just pay upfront and stay at encore tower suites, but this time we decided to take a comp resort room so we can enter the "timepiece a day giveaway" (wife's idea)

It's one of those entry for every 5k points you earn so i'm sure we have no shot at a real prize but they do have a finale drawing that you actually have to be there to win. if we hit 50th or better for $500 free play i'll be surprised
    the dream is to hit for a lot of free play and "have" to come back next week for the superbowl to play it off...
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

wife already said that if we hit one of the better watches 100/75/50k we have to take the cash, so maybe one of the cheaper watches would actually be better for me!

no plans yet, except dinner at
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    thursday night. Wife's parents good friend who happens to be our real estate agent (and degen vp player) is staying there and wants to take us out for dinner on her comp so we have to make the trip down there. i'm sure tender is no SW, but we all have to make sacrifices sometimes..lol

would also like to try to get some play and drinks in at cosmo. i haven[t been a fan in the past but all i read is good things lately.

Here a small list of things i'd like to do so i can recap and see what i actually did:

win $$ -110
    smoke a nice cigar (i smoke maybe 2 a year on average) -220
    drink macallan 12 -999
    macallan 18 -1100
    macallan 25 +220

attempt to get the broken rivet on my louis vuitton duffel bag fixed -550
    actually get it fixed in store -110
    get some story about it having to be flown back to france to fix +100

win more $$ than i'm down on $wynn stock in the last 6 months +500
    checkout encore players club -110
    actually buy a table there +220
    win $$ -110 ---nope came home a loser, but lost well under theo. about as close to breaking even as you can get considering

smoke a nice cigar (i smoke maybe 2 a year on average) -220 --- nope, brought a few Opus X's with me but just never was in the mood to smoke one.

drink macallan 12 -999
    macallan 18 -1100
    macallan 25 +220

12 yes, lots, 18, actually no, 25 lol

This was the first trip i've ever been denied 18 at the tables. I know the cost is going up due to demand in asia, and comps given out are going down, but this sort of pissed me off.

I was playing bj in the old hosts office at wynn. $100 min table 6 deck during the day. this table hit soft 17. usually i wouldn't play h17 esp at the $100 level but i was having a bad losing streak over at the encore hl. they said that the table goes up to 300+ weekend evenings even at h17!! sat down and the pit gives me the usual let me know if i can do anything for you, etc… after a couple shoes i ask where the nearest bathroom is and he tells me all the way down the hall past the buffet.. seems far but i don’t think anything of it. couple shoes and drinks later i get up to go again and the dealer (Winston, an older asian guy who was awesome btw) tells me to just go right across the hall to the HL and gave me directions. Odd that the bathroom is unmarked, over at encore there are a bunch of signs. I’m sure the pit knew it was there but he sent me a half a mile away anyway? anyway, keep playing at this point i’ve been there almost 4 hours, around 175-200 average or so and even $. I ask for a macallan 18 neat, cw goes and asks for a slip and the pit comes over and says he can’t do it, but i can charge it to me room and

have my host look at it if i really want it. I passed and when the relief pit came on asked him what kind of average you need to a 18 comp, he said it’s now around an $80 comp and he would need $500+ average for a couple hours, seems crazy compared to past trips where it was flowing like water for far less play. not that it matters but in the 4 hrs prior to this i dropped at least 500 in tips, (i’d hit a streak, press my bets, tip a lot, then go cold..) I guess in the future if i wanted to i could cut back on the tips and buy my drinks if i wanted something good. shows that cost cutting isn’t just happening at mgm.

attempt to get the broken rivet on my louis vuitton duffel bag fixed -550

actually get it fixed in store -110

get some story about it having to be flown back to france to fix +100

Lady at lv said they have to send it in. (my wife said she read on purse forum (they actually have those!) that this shouldn’t be the case. guess i need to get it fixed locally, which sucks since i hate the mall.

win more $$ than i'm down on $wynn stock in the last 6 months +500

—not even close

checkout encore players club -110

actually buy a table there +220

—overall i can see what they are trying to do here, but i think it would make a lot more sense like lavo did. I would have built this in the old society space (and figured out somewhere else to put the poker room) I think a more defined space would be better and also then you could have walls full of tvs not just mounted to the ceiling. i can’t see myself actually spending $$ for a couch there.

eat at sinatra -110

SW -220

jardin -220 (menu doesn't look that great but it's "new" and beautiful venue)

ate at sinatra, didn’t do jardin, missed sw. As mention on the other site, my wife’s family friends wanted to take us out for dinner at luxor and my wife didn’t want steak twice in a row for dinner. my steak at tender was pretty bad, in retrospect i should have sent it back, so i was really missing sw.

got my name drawn in 14th place in the rolex drawing for $2500 free play which was pretty sweet better than i ever expected. the drawing as pretty amateur hour with lots of technical issues. I almost didn’t get a chance to burn the free play before leaving on a redeye that night.

stopped in the wynn hosts office and hot on duty comped off all my charges (i stop before checking out since i have no confidence in my host doing it after i’m going) mentioned how i’ve never even met my host and the guy gave me his card and said i should expect better and to give him a call.

realizing i had extra comp on the table, after packing up i stopped at the encore hosts office and the host on duty comped me a ride to the airport. i was hoping for a phantom, but it was just a house limo (i guess i should have asked for a phantom?) he asked me about my host and he was actually on her international marketing team (even though i’m domestic) he said she has lots of big $$ players so i prob get lost in the shuffle and i could contact him as well. I will email the guy from wynn next time. Since this host picked me up, i don’t even get a fruit plate or bottle of champagne or birthday cake in my room (i used to always get something) just a phone msg from the team welcoming me. talking a bit with the host on duty at encore, he said they recently cut way back on comps. especially blackjack, he told me i’d be way better off comp wise playing bacc.

overall the $3850 in freeplay i won in the drawing and slot tourney really helped to get me close to even $$ We had a good time, but the cost cutting is evident. gambling wise i can get better rules and hour drive away (mohegan sun) rather than a 5 hour flight, so it’s the little things associated with the gambling that make it worth the trip. when i initially left i was certainly in no hurry to return, but after mulling it over a week now, the itch is coming back.

ended up with 11 hours of bj at 120/hand (some green ship double deck at encore brought the average down.

just a little craps at wynn (bought in for 1k and me and other shooter rolled and cashed since i doubled up and the other guy was leaving and didn’t want to play myself) $50 table 345x odds in the old host office and about 39k coin in on the slots and a little video poker

• Like Like x 2
  2. wrobinson32

wrobinson32
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I'm not sure how our play compares but Wynn has certainly been tightening up. I always enjoy staying there, in large part because of the service, but they are just tightassed on the comps to leave me dissatisfied but coming back. Probably good business on their part lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I like Wynn and certainly know my play would get me a lot more comp wise elsewhere. Im willing to pay extra to stay where I want and feel comfortable, but if it gets to the point where I can't get even macallan 12 on the floor or find a s17 bj game at the $100 level in the morning I think I'd be out. Hopefully it doesn't slide that far down the rabbit hole of cost cutting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Claire

Claire
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Thank you Geoff! Amazing TR..well done!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Yankees4ever31

Yankees4ever31
    Expand Collapse
    Boy, the way Glenn Miller Played.....
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Great TR. I can't believe how tight the comps are getting for people going in deep. I'm nowhere near your level of play and I am not expecting anything comped when I go in June (I'll have to make it up in VP). Hopefully you can enjoy those OPUS X's at home with some good cognac while thinking about Vegas:thumbsup:.

6. Spivderman

Spivderman
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Mac-18 is an $80 comp? That is insane. The last bottle of Mac-15 I bought (I prefer the Oak to the Sherry) was $89. That should be more like a $35-45 comp with Mac-25 being $90-100. Crazy comp inflation!

7. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Mac 28 I'd sherry about 180-200+ a bottle fyi

8. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Register or Login
    too thin to fold .. Ballo at Mohegan sun

9. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Fold at about 1/3 the slide ftw

10. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Manned up and hit the fold on the double slide fwt...