Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Let's talk wine...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shifter, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    The Chairman
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    If you know anything about me you know my top top favorite is anything from DRC. Montrachet white is incredible and La Tache and Romanee Conti for red.

I'm also a Bordeaux fan. Normally I go for Cheval Blanc but I recently had Le Pin and really liked it. I'm going to try some Petrus next trip to compare.

On a more normal level, I drink a lot of Navarro Pinot Noir at home. It's out of Mendocino county and I've been up to the winery many times back when I lived over there.

I recently got 6 bottles of their 2013 Deep End to hold for a few years. It was so good I drank 4 of them in the first week, lol. So I ordered another case plus 3 magnums for parties.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    You are welcome for the introduction to my beloved La Tache.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vegasmacker

vegasmacker
    Expand Collapse
    VP Bar Degenerate
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    My wife and I really enjoy this Pinot Noir
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    I however made this mistake of ordering a bottle of "Kings Ransom" when ordering some of the normal Pinot last time, so the wife won't stop bugging me to order more of it. I will say that the Cromwell had a decent Pinot Noir last time I played bartops there, although I was probably too drunk for an accurate review because I don't even remember the name of it. That being said, my palate for wine is not nearly as tuned in as most of yours.

#3 Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I can't remotely run like many of you guys, and while my friendships and my other connections afford me the wonderful chance to sample broadly across the great smorgasbord, we wine at a far different level.

We're heavily into local and Burgundian grapes because we live in Pinot/Chardonnay country -- Sta. Rita Hills AVA -- and I had my lengthy Oregon tenure in the past and still have friends, family and ties to the Willamette. The next tier is Rhones, Vacqueyras and Gigondas because the Chinese haven't totally fucked up that market, and of course local interpretations -- blends and varietals, from the SYV AVA and our sub-AVAs. With Ballard Canyon and Happy Canyon inland we then start getting warm-clime Syrahs and eventually Bordeauxs. Terri particularly is in to Champagne and we belong to a club in Seattle that sources small-lot production.

5. North East J

North East J
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I will be watching this topic with interest in hopes of learning something. The only thing I know about wine is to not fill a glass completely full.....and learned that the hard way....

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Hopefully something will prove useful to you, North. Most of the few wines typically talked up on these types of threads run into the hundreds if not thousands. Terri and I are avid wine folks but if we pull something that cost us $100 ... well, that could be Tuesday burger night. But we drink in the $20-$40 range most of the time, and in our wine storage unit you won't find much over the $200 mark at current value. We'll roll the dice on bargain stuff at times because you have nothing to lose blind-buying something that sets you back six or eight bucks. Then again, all you have to do is mess that up a few times and you've pissed away enough that you could've picked up something trusted. (Trader Joe's often gets lucky in what it brings in, and in our experiences and given our tastes that usually means Rhones.)

Don't get caught up in the hysteria and showmanship of it. There are perfectly bad wines in the BIG buck range as there are some gems at a bargain. Many specific houses, domestic or foreign, can ask whatever the fuck they want because they typically bring the goods. A few of those are just buzz, and Chinese and dot.com buyers chasing labels or perceived cachet.

One of those WSJ or Sunset Magazine or whatever wine clubs are not a bad place for newbies to start. You don't know what you'll get but it likely won't be shit, and it gives you the chance to do the most important thing: finding varietals (or blends) and regions that suit your tastes. Any wine shop worth its salt will work to steer you where you want to go, as well; the asshole ones will go instantly for the up-sell or the label infatuation.

I'd also suggest joining a specific winery club. Get a year's worth of shipments -- two-12 bottles several times a year -- sample, take notes mental or written. Then cancel and try something else for a year, a different house maybe from a different region. Etc. If you know or think you like Pinot, then part of the battle is over and you just need one of us, a friend, a wine merchant, a review, to steer you to a specific region -- Russian River, a specific part of the Willamette Valley, some place in Burgundy, right here from my figurative back yard -- and winery.

7. Dreamsh!t

Dreamsh!t
    Expand Collapse
    Love craps, and beer!.
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Been drinking wine for about 20 years, and as I get older, I keep spending less.

I have found that a $10.00 bottle or 2 gets the women

just as frisky as the more epensive stuff.

In a nutshell, it cost $10-$20 to get laid.

HaHa

8. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:

I love reading about high end experiences, but I'm not on the level of these guys so I'm only dreaming if I think I'll ever try one of the wines mentioned in the original post. What are some of your top recommendations for reds under $20? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. I don't have an overly sophisticated palate when it comes to wine, but do enjoy a glass or bottle sometimes. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on some of the more affordable wines out there. There is a bottle called Toasted Head Cabernet that will run about $15 a bottle. It is my goto when I'm grabbing a bottle for the weekend.

Edit: Does anyone have any recommendations for affordable wines that would be good for aging? Do they even exist? I've always wanted to pick up a case and store it away in my cellar.

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    The problem with recommendations is availability; who lives where, with what outlets, sources, retailers. Being a national publication, Sunset's recs likely represent broad-scale accessibility, and from some of the names on the list below, that seems to be the case.

Aging is a nebulous thing. I live in one of the most acclaimed Pinot regions around, but I'd not put our stuff down for more than six or seven years in most instances. Now some Burgundies might not enter full stride for 10-15 years and then have a long pace ahead of them. And of course some grapes not just regional styles lend themselves -- even demand -- much more time. A lot of the idea behind cellaring is $$$$. Or just having something to show off down the line. If you have something you presently like, put one down for a while, pull one out every six months and see what happens. That's the joy of it all; few of us are or can afford to be in that other game.

Generally -- GENERALLY, no one jump my shit by pointing out those Napa exceptions or whatever -- American wines are made for earlier consumption.

Here's a Sunset listing:
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    It's fun to laugh about Wine Speculator's "ratings," but each issue has suggested value buys. Well worth a look. And as I said above and say every time, if you don't live in a wine region where you can get to know the producers, find a wine shop or good liquor store you trust.

10. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Not sure if it makes it to the US , however, I'm someone that has tried very expensive wine and very basic wine and I'm by no means a connoisseur. I recently found a very affordable , delicious (Subject) wine from Lebanon.

Chateau Musar Jeune 2012 Rouge.

Retails in the UK for £10-£12 so $16-$18 if prices are consistent and really lovely.