Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Recap Las Vegas Sevens rugby March 3-7

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Vtamanda, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I went out to Vegas in March for the international rugby tournament. It was a blast! I flew from RDU to ATL, where I met up with a girlfriend and we flew on to Vegas together.
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

I am going to stop here and post to test, since it is my first time using Tapatalk.

2. BS

BS
    Expand Collapse
    Red Jacket
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Diamond Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Looking forward to the rest.

3. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Seems to be working fine!

So I had SW drink tickets, but our Air Hostess was a bitch and judgemental that we were drinking on an 8 am flight. It's Vegas? So my girlfriend tried twice to order is more drinks and she just never brought them to us. Strange.
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Flight was otherwise uneventful, and had a great time catching up with my BFF. Older gent sat next to us and had fun talking with him.

Landed and used the new airport liquor store. I give it 5 stars. Great service and easy to get your stuff. Might be a little more expensive than my liquor store here, I paid 35$ for a fancy bottle of Bailey's Salted Caramel.

Looked to use Uber, but didn't see it clearly marked. Taxi line was empty so we hopped in. Guess what??? He starts talking about an accident by the MGM. I rolled my eyes and said "I've heard this before, let me guess, we need to take the tunnel?" So off we go. We get to the Excalibur and it cost 30$ after the tip. He did offer that we could just give him 20$, I pointed out that it should have been 17$. But we just paid and smiled. Fuck, we're in Vegas$

#3 Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  4. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I feel the need to explain the stay at the Excal. My friends wanted to do the trip on the cheap. And there was shuttle service running from the Trashy Castle to the rugby event fri, sat, sun. Total price for 4 nights was 430 even after all of the taxes and "resort" fee. Laughable. The shuttle was a series of very nice Greyhound buses. We never waited to get on one from the hotel. Well done and 35$ well spent.

The rooms were fine. Nothing special, but clean. I would pay more for a Holiday Inn around here and I would say they are comparable. We asked for a room near the elevator and we got it. Never heard noise from other rooms. No issues.
    Register or Login

5. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    We wandered down to the Cosmo because I wanted to have lunch at Milos. We sat on the patio. It was delicious, as usual.
    Register or Login
    Register or Login

We wandered back up the strip and my girlfriend decided to it was time for a nap/shower. I decided it was time for drink/ gamble. Headed to the Tropicana to see about their lose $200 promo. They are no longer offering it. Bummer. But I hit a 5$ Pai Gow table, it was about 4pm on a Thursday. Only pai gow at Excal was $15 minimum all weekend. This was My first time playing on a real table as I am just starting to learn this game. First hand was four 9's! I had good beginners luck, but am not totally comfortable yet, as I haven't memorized the strategy completely. Left the table after 20 minutes, up $15 and a beer, after tipping dealer and waitress. They didn't have much yummy beer available so I picked Newcastle.
    Register or Login

I wandered over to NYNY. Nothing too exciting. Ended up back at Excal to meet up with my girlfriend.
    Register or Login
    Register or Login

We went to Nine Fine Irishmen and had a few beers. Little walk around NYNy and a little gamble. Funny story - an Ellen slot machine ate $10. The slot tech who came by to help was so funny. We loved him (beer?) He obviously likes his job. Then the boss and an associate came by and they review the video upstairs. 3 employees (and whoever was "upstairs ") and at least 15 minutes for a 10$ refund. The tech was funny though, "Mrs. Vtamanda, your first hand pay. 1, 2, 3. . 10$ congrats!" If only it had been more, or even a win. Lol.

Met up with our other roommate when her plane landed at 8pm. Had a boring food court dinner. They went to bed and I went to gamble. Hit the hay at about 1am (up just over 24 hours). No amazing hits but a good long time and drinks on triple play in the Excal high limit room (hahahahaha).i was tired and up about $100 on the day. Winning!!!!
    Register or Login
    Register or Login

6. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Day 2 - Friday
    I was up early, 5am ish. Wandered downstairs and grabbed a coffee and called home to chat with the kids. The Excalibur Starbucks serves coffee at mouth searing temperatures and I burned the shit out of my mouth even though I let it sit for 10 minutes with the top off. Sigh. Blistered the roof of my mouth.

Headed outside for a walk around and met with one of the girls who was going out for a strip run. Obligatory momma is in Vegas photo:
    Register or Login

I headed down to the bellagio for a look around. I went via Monte Carlo and the tram.
    Register or Login

Register or Login

Register or Login

Checked out the conservatory and bought a 5$ bottle of water. That's when you know you should just be drinking alcohol. 5$ for water is just stupid.
    Register or Login

Register or Login

Met the girls at the Monte Carlo pub for breakfast. Food was good but service was painfully slow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    We strip walked after breakfast. There was a guy trying to get people to go to Fuel bar by Bally's and he was handing out BOGO drink coupons. So what the hell, we went. The flair bartenders were pretty good and the place was packed with wasted people. I got 2 margaritas. They were good!
    Register or Login

The rest of the day is a booze haze of drinking and gambling.

We saw big Elvis
    Register or Login
    we met lots of rugby people this day. Folks from all over the US and some from Scotland, several English guys and a couple from Wales. The overall feeling in Vegas was different than usual. It seemed like everywhere we went we met rugby people. It was awesome!

My friends fell in love with blackjack, but insisted on playing poor pay 5$ tables. I was a snob and refused. Played VP and craps. Did pretty well, ended up 100$ and too many free drinks to count.
    Register or Login

Played at the Cromwell bar, very yummy margaritas there and nice bartenders. One was from very near my hometown so we chatted a bit.

We drug our drunk butts back to the Excal around 8pm and both of my friends sat on the bed and promptly passed out. I got dressed and went out!

I met up with a referee friend of mine and his father. We intended to go to Nine Fine Irishmen, but they had a cover and it was super loud. So we got drinks and went to sit outside the NYNY in the new area by the bridge. It was just beautiful out there. Perfect weather and good people watching. Nice area to sit and chat. We hung out for 2 hours or so and then said our good-byes and I headed back south to the castle.

Decided I was hungry and went to Mandaly Bay and the Citizen's cafe. Had a kale salad (strange midnight food, I know) and the best beer. Rogue hazelnut brown ale. It is the most delicious brown ale. I have bought it twice since I have been home. Great find!
    Register or Login

Played a little more video poker with no real hits. Just break even. Went to bed around 1:30am.

8. Vtamanda

Vtamanda
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Saturday was our first rugby day. We headed out to the back of Excalibur and got on tour buses that drove us to UNLV stadium.
    Register or Login

Register or Login

The rugby was good and we had a great day. The atmosphere was fantastic, with the usual rowdy sand crazy rugby fans. I love international tournaments and it is fun watching America find it's groove.

Went back to the strip showered up and met another friend for dinner at Rice & Company in the Luxor. Very good meal, good service, killer dirty martini and a reasonable price for Vegas. I would eat here again if I was in the area.

Met one of my roommates to see Carrit Top. I cannot recommend this show enough. The reviews are correct. He is hilarious.
    Register or Login

With the money and I would be happy to go again. The theater was small enough that I imagine any seat would be a good seat.

Ended up at Tom's Urban drinking outside with a big group. Had appetizers and beer. This was pretty expensive, but enjoyable. The service was very good too.

Wandered through NYNY and win 60$ playing 10$ craps. Hit and run.

Wandered back to the Excalibur and played video poker till 3 am. A buddy texted me and came over to meet up. We chatted for a long time (maybe 2 hours) while I played VP. The bartenders were cool and kept bringing him LITs even though I was the one playing. I slowly sipped one drink and then had to switch to water bc the day was long and the alcohol was winning.
    Register or Login

Not sure if I quit even or ahead a little but I played for a long slow time and enjoyed the energy.

9. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Good job with pics!

Thanks for posting.