Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Katrina pics from my scrapbook

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Aug 18, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Here are some of my memories from Katrina, the story is in the thread about FEMA from Tellafriend.

I grab a few, not very many. I will write a short comment after I post them. Thanks, Glen.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
  2. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

First four pictures. We had to do some boat recoveries. Actually that boat was upside down and we up righted it and then towed it with a little jet ski to a loading ramp and put it on my big slide back carrier. The steering wheel was broke off so it was like ridge a wild bull, LOL, I told you we had fun down there!

Next picture is unloading a gen-set at a State Police Barracks in the parking lot.

Next 3 pictures was in that secure zone when I came in contact with the Colonel. The RV is the Colonel and his people driving away, that is the same street the medical disaster tent was on.

Next picture is just south of I-10 around the Bay St. Louis exit. The river coming from the bay. There was bodies and body parts floating, eerie like a scene out of a fucking Stephen King movie!!! I did recover a bunch of those cars later that day at the request of authorities.

Next one is a really nice HOA of $300k and up townhouses. There goes the proverbial kitchen sink!

Next one is about 1 mile from any water way and yet there is a large commercial boat without much damage to it, amazing!

Next one is a Franklin Mint model of a older stingray/corvette. I could not get over how things like this would be sitting out in a parking lot or right in front of someone's house that was totally gutted. Nothing wrong with a little fragile plastic or metal model. LOL. I saw houses with the entire house gutted all except for one second story bedroom with all the walls ripped out but the furniture still in the one room and the closet exposed with all the clothes hanging! Everything else in the house would have been gutted including the carpet and sheetrock. Totally amazing stuff like that.

A lot of people wrote things on their garage doors, or if the house was gutted they would write stuff on their driveways.

Next was a major shopping mall, totally wiped out, 90% of it gone. All kinds of merchandise in the parking lots as well.

The picture with the black firebird was at a newer beach house, can only imagine it was probably a house in excess of $600k, totally gutted. The land around it was unbelievably soft as you can see.

Classic cars everywhere.

Another HOA totally devastated.

Those are just a dozen or so pics, I have hundreds, good to go through them once in a while, I have not even looked at them in the past 5 years.

#2 Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow amazing. What great work you did down there.

4. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

I did everything from set up those gen-sets and air handler units for Koehler and the Army, to recover vehicles for the state police and insurance companies. I hauled numerous vehicles with dead bodies in them to the police stations or state patrol barracks, etc. I hauled equipment and supplies into the secure zones as well as recover boats and transport them to where the insurance companies were transferring them to salvage yards out of state. Everything the first 30-45 days was a challenge, from getting food to basic supplies. Not much was around in the coast line of Mississippi. Mobile was hard hit in parts and other parts were not too bad. But the lines and the shortages were enormous.

I can literally say, been there-done that.

#4 Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. Hoofy7

Hoofy7
    Expand Collapse
    AKA HeatherE

We actually moved to Louisiana during the hurricane. Lol I swear we were the ONLY car going south. Had to drive straight through because there was not a hotel room open from Memphis on south. Had our pets in the truck and unhappy kids! You couldn't find gas anywhere and we still have 3 huge generators as those were like bread and milk in Louisuana. ;)

6. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

The most heart wrenching thing I did there was transport a small bus load of kids, all past away---still brings tears to my eyes, to one of the State Patrol Barracks where they had a temporary morgue set up. Damn, I had some bad dreams on that one, instead of going inside of it to drop it in natural to get it up on my slide back carrier and off at the other end, I went underneath it and dropped the drive line. Sad, but had to be done to get the kids a proper resting place.

The weirdest one, was cleaning out a warehouse of what appeared to be stashed, in mint condition German Army vehicles, although water damaged I could tell they were in mint condition prior to that. Also the warehouse had plastic tubs and creates of artifacts and items from the German Army. Strange, makes one kind of wonder if the collector or person had some close ties?

The spookiest one was going up to a vehicle and not seeing a person first that was past away lying on the seat or floorboard and when you open the door, there the site was. Straight out of a Stephen King movie. Happened twice the first couple of days I was there.

#6 Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. dvandentop

dvandentop
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Wow an unbelievable experience for sure thanks for sharing very interesting and crazy pictures.

8. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    You'd be surprised how many collectors of WWII German military memorabilia etc there are. Many years ago I had a booth in an antique store. I also sold crap on ebay. I had this old helmet that had belonged to my father. He was in the Navy and was on a ship during the Korean War. He told me many stories over the year. According to him he got the helmet off a dead North Korean. He had also told me he never left the ship. So I did not know the truth about the helmet. I decided that maybe I could get $25 for it on ebay. It was a plain looking every day helmet. For years it sat on a shelf in my son's room with toys. My son had gone off to college. My husband told me to just "shit can it"

I posted it on ebay with pics. The inside had a leather lining that was in great shape. I wondered why the lettering was in German if my Dad got it off a North Korean. Immediately I started getting bids. After one week I had received hundreds of questions and bids. It went for over $3000. It was a Luftwaffe Paratrooper Helmet -- extremely rare.

9. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully some got something out of it, took a couple of hours last night to find, take pics of the pics and then download. I don't have a color scanner at home and wanted to back up what I started in the FEMA thread from Tellafriend's thread, etc. Brought back some memories, both good and sad, but hey, I did those things. Anyway, it was worth the time (gave up a movie and making home made pasta sauce, ate a hamburger instead with tater tots), LOL. Your welcome.