Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Italian places on the Strip

Discussion in 'Grub' started by Tesla, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tesla

Tesla
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Starting to think about restaurant choices for our post New Year's trip to Vegas. Mrs. Tesla suggested an Italian night which sounded great to me! We did some daydreaming about options on the Strip and came up with these as a first pass. We're staying at the Bellagio but not interested in the small-plates concept at Lago.

Sinatra - this is our current #1 choice. We're Mlifers but I'll forego the tier credits to Steve Wynn if it's as good as we're thinking it is.

Carbone - yay tier credits but I've heard mixed reviews, hinting it's not worth the money and service/quality are uneven. Then again, maybe those concerns are no longer an issue since it's been open for a while.

Canaletto - I have fond memories of sharing dinner with my father here a long time ago. He has since passed away so nostalgia is a strong pull...

Portofino - menu/decor looked ok when we walked by on our last trip, and the Mirage is my second home away from home (the B is my first) - anyone been there recently?

I'll take any other recommendations, because I'm sure we missed some really good options.

Tags:
  2. lazytaper

lazytaper
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Carbone is best. Sinatra is also good. Scarpetta in Cosmo is also great and had views of the bellagio fountains.

3. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Carbone is the best. Scarpetta was the best until Carbone opened.

Personally, I think Giada's is worth going to at least once to check it out but since there are better options it's probably not worth going to more than once.

4. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Tesla, you have a great list. Don't change a thing with those choices.

5. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Carbone > all others

6. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Carbone, Scarpetta, Portofino are all great.

Carbone gets a lot of hype and is talked up a lot, especially on this board. However, it is completely justified - its a great place. Food, service, and drinks are all outstanding. It's on my list of must eat places in Vegas.

We tried Scarpetta for the first time on our last trip, and it was great. The best part was the food and the view of the fountains. This has more of a romantic date night type of feel. The food was a 10, but I probably could have eaten 2 entrees - the pasta dishes aren't very big.

Portofino- in my opinion, this place is very underrated. We loved the food and the service was great. My wife couldn't decide between two dishes and asked the waiter for a recommendation between the two. The waiter told her that he would just ask the chef to make two half orders and bring both.

If wanting to stick with Mlife, you can't go wrong with Carbone or Portofino.

7. Tesla

Tesla
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. I've been talked out of Sinatra in favor of Carbone, with Portofino (thanks to Hard4 for making this tough lol) as our backup. We didn't have Scarpetta on our list, but we'll keep it in mind. I like the romantic date idea for a trip when it's "just the two of us."

8. bayoubengal

bayoubengal
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Carbone is legit. It's on the expensive side but damn it's good.

9. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    As heard many times before - spicy rigatoni and veal parm at carbone

At Portofino, I can vouch for the Burrata Agnolotti and the Gnocchi (order this if you like mushrooms)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tibs

Tibs
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Had Portofino back in September and it was really good, all three of us enjoyed our dishes. Its quiet which I like. I had the ripatelli and it was really good. Buddy was boring and he had lasagna and loved it