Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Is This Message Board Dying?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Breeze147, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Admittedly, I spend 90% of my time on the General Vegas and Off Topic sections.

I'm not seeing very many new posts, not too many responses and no new active posters.

Is this forum dying?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Maybe it just seems slow because there aren't 10 posts a day about pizza folding anymore

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. natedog666

natedog666
    Expand Collapse
    17 and 20
    VB Syndicate Founder's Club Platinum Linker

Just from talking to people that populate all three boards it seems like this board has scared off a lot of people because it is too "mean". The VF is heavily censored, even more so than VMB and people seem to like it.

Over here people that used to post don't anymore because why do it if one or two bad apples will jump down your throat...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bayoubengal

bayoubengal
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I usually post and reply from my feed. I sometimes don't even notice which board it is. I can say my VMB posting is way way down.

5. Hoofy7

Hoofy7
    Expand Collapse
    AKA HeatherE

Half the board was just in Vegas, so that could cause some lapses...especially memory! ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Haha Haha x 2
  6. Robbo

Robbo
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I don't think its dying, but I think there is some hesitation from people because of how the board is viewed. In most boards, much of the topics are general and revolve around needed help or information. Some people probably feel like a beginning question is a stupid question, just because the personalities are so strong here, and a lot of people have so many trips under their belts.

I think its a cycle, some of the BS will die out and some good topics will come up. Right now, the trip reports are the highlight, and i'm good with that as well. I've been itching to get out to Vegas again, and those trip reports help ease that a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    It's a numbers game, really. If we're doing a comparo to a place that has been around for a decade or two, with the membership base that accrues over that span of time as opposed to the less-than-a-year this place has been around, that's not really fair.

Also, good, bad or otherwise, this place was founded on Vegas vets, a good number of whom dine higher up on the hog, so to say, so there isn't going to be as much newbie/basic. Again, over time that will change.

Finally, there were one hell of a lot of totally inane threads and post, as has been pointed out. That might've made for activity but of what value?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    The Chairman
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    people come, people go.

but there's actually more traffic than ever, but fewer posts/threads.

there was tons of inane and trolling posts/threads that upped the post count, but didn't add any real value to the site and if anything, drove people away even more.

so I've cut that off recently.

as far as the idea that people don't feel comfortable posting, I can understand that. both for the idea that the uncensored board is "too mean" or for the idea that there's a lot of veterans with lots of experience and newbies don't feel comfortable posting "stupid" questions.

the one thing this board has become known for is the place to come to read the best TRs and also to benefit from knowledge and information from Vegas veterans. and I know that because like I said, traffic is higher than ever. but that doesn't always translate into more posts.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Tyche

Tyche
    Expand Collapse

Maybe people are waiting for PT & Shifter's New TR.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Exactly what shifter and Ken have said. I think part of it, too, was that as much as people want the freedom to go off-topic every now and then, this is still fundamentally supposed to be a Vegas-related board. When every active thread, and all the recent posts, are on off-topic stuff, it reduces the appeal for people who either want to learn more about Vegas, or who know a lot already and just want to bullshit about Vegas. It does feel like growing pains to me, though, and hopefully things will continue to improve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1