Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Internet news/story design people

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Sep 7, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Gotta love the new trend in splitting up a one or two page story into something like 40 different 'slide-pages' to load and read like 4.5 sentences at a time. I usually now just skip the link when it does just that. Getting more common to have it 25-30-even 40 pages, I can only assume it is to get hits on multiple advertisers as well as the same ones. If I am correct, say a certain story got 100,000 hits to read it. Instead of a single count of 100,000 if split up to 30 pages, it suddenly gets 3 million hits now??? I don't know very much about internet advertising on a business' web site page, so I am only assuming.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Ditto here too Glen. I'm not sure either, but you've got to be on the right track. Those damned catchy headlines draw me in and I click away, reading mindless nonsense, clicking next and next and next, and 99% of the time, the entire thing is a shitshow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

As soon as I see the ___of___ screens/pages, etc., I click off of it. Sometimes I really want to see whatever it was, but I am not staring at my screen for 20-25-30-35 times for everything to load. I tried a few times, I can't even remember what I read in fragments, lol.

More than aggravating.

4. Ski-Doo-rider

Ski-Doo-rider
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    And the picture they show to get you to click on the link in the first place is never in the slideshow LOL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Another one lately, has been where one clicks on a website and then as soon as you get into something on it--a huge pop-up appears, click off on it and then another and another. Also, on those same websites it appears that the side advertising is increasing in its size to like 1/3 or better of the page. Now, on all those, I just click off on them, thanks but no thanks--too much of a pain in the ass. These people have no idea that are losing readership? I can only assume the click matter (on) and no one pays attention to the length of time someone is present??

6. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

It's black hat content marketing and Google punish them when they pick it up but ultimately the Internet needs to monetise itself and this is the short term fix.

Digital media has pretty much collapsed printed media and not many publishers saw it coming or believed it was more than hype and now they are shitting themselves at the loss of revenue.

7. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Online advertising generates revenue on a cost per Mille basis and a thousand advertisement impressions (each advert load counts as an impression) pays the advertiser between 10 and 50 dollars so splitting a page into 20 instead of one has obvious benefits.

8. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Aggravating, and if it's a potential website I wanted to buy something on, I would click-off of it, I can handle the ads on the sides but all the rest is bull-crap. The info sites are probably hurting themselves if they really do need or want readership, but all IMO only, 100%.

9. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I hate it, you hate it, everyone in the digital industry hates it, but it makes money through various channels so it will be around a little while longer.

Most of the "blame" for this lies with ad blocking software. Publishers went from 6 million ads on one page to a couple on 20 pages.

10. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Because of your response earlier, I did 5 min's worth of reading on this stuff early when I got to my office and opened up today. Although I am not in the website/computer biz and never will be, I use them like 99% of everybody. I stumbled onto a focus forum of types where computer website people exchange ideas and services, etc. WOW, all the talk about getting around everything and all the tricks of their trade discussed, etc. Now I partly understand why so many in that 20-30 year old out of college and into the computer trade thinks..........................everything is talking about 'getting around', placing plants of this or that on sites with or without knowledge of people, etc. Just continual info, ideas and discussions about placing unwanted content they get paid to place or something for the number value, etc. Like you say, oh well--it is there and will be for a while.