Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

"Inner Circle" May Wish........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    A vast majority of you may want to be more accepting to new members and members
    who are not part of the "INNER CIRCLE".
    Many members here maybe were not members of VMB but they sure viewed VMB as it
    is a very informative Vegas forum as well.
    These people, who may have viewed VMB and have joined this site, also can plainly
    see that there is a special fondness for each other among the veterans from VMB.

People in the "inner circle" here post to each others threads and the number of
    posts show it greatly. But newer people don't receive 15% of the responses that
    the "inner circle" gets.

It is OK to have an inner circle, but also include more, greatly more, of the
    newer people members that you don't know.
    After awhile it can be a little intimidating and discouraging for newer members
    to start new threads or even post to established threads.
    People who lurk, may not even want to join when they see that it mainly serves
    the established "inner circle".
    Many want to be a part of this, but see it as mainly futile. It is greatly
    for the inner circle..

I know that many here will condemn and criticize this post, but I do not believe
    this web forum will grow as you wish if you (plural) don't become more accepting to
    everyone, not just your friends and inner circle members.

Present this forum as a haven for all members and potential future members.
    Encourage people to want to post and start new threads and by responding to
    their posts and threads etc.. not just the inner circle buddies.........

Many members who do not post may see the invitations in the attitudes by
    receiving more replies to threads and posts and start posting more themselves. Many lurkers may
    join by thinking " hey I want to be a part of this"..

Send all bashing you may have for this post to Lima, Peru..

• Like Like x 4
  2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I, for one, appreciate your post and agree with your assessment

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    BTW, what is the email address to use for Lima, Peru, lol

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I don't think many will condemn and criticize your sentiments. Or they shouldn't.

There was a lot of emotion flying around when this place came together, and it is being tempered. And some did obviously come here because they assumed the "anything goes" bit really meant you could scream "fire" in a crowded theater. I think that is being worked out.

Membership makes a place succeed, and hopefully shifter's little experiment here will do just that. I also don't think VMB or even the once-vaunted LVA had this many members six months into the experiment.

5. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that all the "inner circle" posting is intended to alienate anyone, but I do agree that it can be sometimes discouraging reading a thread when 90% of the posts are from the "inner circle" as you labeled it. Thankfully, most of the threads that fall into that category tend to be TRs, especially the Live ones. It seems like there are a bunch of people who start TRs 2-3 weeks ahead of time and there are 10 pages of posts before they even leave. I just wind up skipping over those posts and others where it pretty much devolves into an private conversation between a handful of people.

While I certainly agree with you on the fact that those threads provide little interest for those outside of the "circle" posting, and provide little useful information for others, I also don't think that is the intention of those posting. Many people on this board and others have not only met, but regularly take trips to Vegas together. That makes their friendships much more real than a bunch of strangers with anonymous handles posting on the internet. Therefore one can expect them to have a different conversation when posting on here. I don't think their intention is to alienate anyone by having those conversations, even if that is the end result. I'm not sure what the solution is other than those people using the PM function more, but do they really need to do that? I think because the "inner circle" makes up a large portion of the posters on here, and certainly a lot of the active posters, it has a bigger impact and is much more noticeable than if there were 10 times the members that there is currently. Now at times there can be a little "cliqueyness", where some of the IC types do almost intentionally alienate someone for one reason or another, but overall it's rare. I think over time as the users grow, you'll notice this less, and in the meantime, just ignore the threads that devolve into a private inside convo playing out in a public thread...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tibs

Tibs
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Good post. I find the seasoned players over here are more interesting and far far less disinformation or flat out bad information. Learned a tremendous amount after just reading this forum that has payed off every trip since.

Hope others join in

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. stackinchips

stackinchips
    Expand Collapse

Just to add, there is definitely a different crowd that this site is catered to vs. a board like VMB. That may change over time, and all are welcome here, but if you want Vegas discussions that revolve around coupons, cheapest buffets, resort fee discussions, and waxing poetic about how dropping $60 a day on a blackjack table used to get you treated like royalty, well, you probably won't find this board of much interest or help. That's fine, different strokes for different folks.

A lot of people have migrated here from other spots to get away from those incessant posts that complained about resort fees, how to not get long hauled in a cab, complaining that a low roller doesn't get the same treatment as a whale, etc. Add that to the threads that would be started on VMB with a question that would be answered incorrectly (but with plenty of certainty) by 15 people before someone who actually had experience with the question would chime in. At least here if that happens you don't have to sugarcoat the response and suffer fools.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I don't disagree with a lot of what the OP is saying. I think a forum is what the community makes of it.

I recently read a post by Joe where he said he wasn't sure if this forum was for him and there were only 8 threads about downtown. I'd say, stick around, invite your downtown friends and build that content. Build it......and they will come. I'm going to have my first downtown stay this fall, so, I for one am interested.

I've never given it much thought before, but I am definitely guilty of hijacking and treating a thread like it was a private conversation. I apologize for that. I've been on VB since almost the beginning and I am a big poster. I hope some of my posts are helpful......a lot are me just being a smart ass. I don't consider myself to be part of "the inner circle". I certainly don't fit the demographic of a Vegas forum. I'm old enough to be the mother of most members, I'm a woman and I rarely drink. I hope others will do what I've done and.....just jump in with both feet.

I also 100% agree with stackinchips. As the membership grows, the current active posters will seem less active in the grand scale of things.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Tangents never have spun my bunny. Perhaps because I've been involved in so many. Conversations often go that route.

10. VegasGroove

VegasGroove
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Personally, I don't even know what the name of the "old board" is. I have certainly seen many posts making reference to an old board, and gathered that there was some sort of moderator-related falling out that precipitated the mass migration. I happened across this board due to a link from WarmDeck's degen chronicles on the TwoPlusTwo poker forums. I just decided to look around and make positive contributions where I can, and overall I certainly do enjoy the tone and content of this site.
    As it pertains to this particular thread, my thoughts are, the whole point of working hard to achieve massive success is to receive "inner circle" treatment wherever you go! So I would never begrudge someone that! There is supposed to be a separate set of rules and reception for the rich & famous!

Don't hate -- Emulate!

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 2