Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Golf ... by (some of) the numbers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, May 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I went down to Carlsbad yesterday, to the Callaway Mothership, to go through (another) club fitting. Some takeaways:

• Beware some golf "logic."
    • I'm going to beat this horse again: Ain't many of us hitting drives 275+. Depending on head/shaft combo, my swings were never below 102 and never above 104.something. My swing speed is within the top 5% of we rec-ers. The laws of golf, god and physics say that with perfect contact that will produce drives in the 263-270 range. Truth. I swing at 94-97% efficiency so call me Mr. 260. Truth. The average accomplished recreational male golfer swings in the mid-low 90s, hits the ball up to the 220s. Truth.
    • It is all about impact conditions. On paper, I should use irons 1/2-inch longer than standard set 2* upright. When we did that I lost swing speed and efficiency, and my draw spin went from that's fine to we-don't-want-that. That is why when I get fitted by a trained pro, they always put me in standard specs and why the kid at Roger Dunn wants me upright and long. (That corner retail shop might also suggest you swing at 110 mph because that helps sales. In other words, always test with your gamer 'cause even if it's rigged, it will still be relative.)
    • Going heavier in my irons shafts increased my swing speed and seriously tightened my dispersion. I have the stock XP95 in my gamers. Both the KBS Tour (my former long-time gamer) and Project X PXi gave me significant improvement. Carrying my 7i 160 anyway, I didn't really need the extra yard or three (actually six with the KBS). What I did like is how the path angle and face angle variability was much tighter, and notably with the Project X (the pattern was so tight it showed as joined dots).
    • High-speed cameras don't lie. For all the quirks THE most consistent thing in my swing is my path, in-to-out at impact over and over and over and over. So beware what you assume about your swing. I know I hit draws when I swing within myself, and my bad blocks are not psychotic slices, they're blocks. But most of my "pulls" are not pulls.
    • I picked up 10 yards with two Callaway drivers over my Bridgestone. Sometimes it was due to higher swing speed, but with both the GBB and the BB Alpha, it was improved strikes/efficiency (I could better find the sweet spot) and launch conditions that did it, ultimately.
    There were other takeaways regarding hybrids and putters but those were the key points.

#1 May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    GOOD STUFF!

3. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I saw that Callaway posted your golf swing from last week.
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm a moderator, don't make me send you to Glen Camp! lol

5. Parallax

Parallax
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I remember watching the show where they were trying to fix his swing. Pretty amazing what this game can do to you. I squeezed in nine last night. We have had 15 days of straight rain in the DC area so everything is wet as hell. At a par 3, that was right around 150, I hit an 8 iron straight at the pin. For a split second my friend thought I had a hole-in-one because the ball disappeared, but I knew it was not the case. I hit it well over the hole. The green was so saturated that about 90% of the ball was embedded in the green. The ball was about 20 feet past the pin.

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    That program really highlighted how totally mental the game is. Remember the sequence when Hank had a bunch of Solo cups inverted on the range? Some had balls underneath, some didn't. The Round Mound's swing improved dramatically when he went down the line just swinging away, because he wasn't thinking ball or swing. After the exercise he hit balls and for a while he was rather normal, then that disaster of a swing came back to the fore.

#6 May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I just finished up a session and could not agree with you more. The 2.64 yards/mph is science. I varied between 102 - 108 mph for driver swing speed and got exactly the same results as you. Actually, slightly lower, with side spin and lower launch angles adding to the lower numbers. I average about 260 off the tee as well. Sometimes with added role and a slight draw, I can slip one out farther at times. My 7 iron is also my 160 yard club. Upright 2 degrees on my irons. But.... I am only 5 foot 6 inch (just a little fella) and don't have the arc advantage like you guys do!

8. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I am curious with your KBS shaft results. We both hit the Callaway Apex irons with the stock XP95 shaft. I have KBS shafts currently in my hybrids as well as a few irons in my old set. Did you notice that much of an improvement? I was contemplating before buying my Apex if I should upgrade to KBS, however, after hitting so well with the stock shaft, I went with them?

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm very accustomed to KBS Tours having them in my previous three sets. I have to say the XP95 is rather stable for being so light, and would be a great option for a player with less "accelerated tempo" than moi. lol I was freaked out when they first arrived last fall but they work. For me, the Project X is the better option over the KBS. If you just looked at most of the launch figures it might seem the KBS is "better." But a 7i that carries north of 160 doesn't need three or four more yards, not when you see the stability I had with the Project X. If my choice was XP95 OR Project X, I'd take the latter for the feel. But I'm not be hurt by the XP95 in terms of numbers. When I get back from the next getaway I'm sending 'em south to get the Project X installed and make a slight tweak to the grip end of things, too.

10. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for the reply Ken. I had nothing but good results with the KBS Tours as well. The stability factor you discuss is interesting. Callaway is coming to our course for demo days this week and I think I may have to try to fiddle a bit. I hope they have a few KBS and/or Project X options for their irons in their cart.

As far as your added few yards with your 7 iron, I had a similar experience last session, but with some hybrids that I was trying. I was looking for a new 4 hybrid - since mine is getting worn out, however, all the new ones I tried were too long. It is supposed to fill the gap between my 5 iron and 3 hybrid, but was hitting them as long as my 3 hybrid!! The option to get a new 3 and 4 hybrid is no good - since I'll have a huge gap then. Other options include maybe trying to get a 4 iron back in the bag (I know you are a fan of this - not loving the hybrid thing - LOL!), or maybe try a 5 hybrid for the gap.

One more thing - I was forced to try out a new club at Golf Town last week. Don't get me started on hitting into that damn simulator! Sure, got some numbers, however, it showed zero shots with a draw, which is my normal shape shot. I even attempted many 'snap hooks', which incidently, I can be quite good at, and it merely recorded it as a straight shot. Never again!!