Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Golf 1.0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    "What doesn't kill you makes you strong."
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Mark, you said the "even better 5th hole." If you ever get to play the course you will quickly see why #4 is one of the absolute greatest 3 pars on the planet. Huge bunker front left, massive right to left swing on the green, 230-240 yards and built in the 1920's. What the hell club did they hit then?
    My contact there is elusive. Last time my brother and his buddy flew down to play it so VBJ's take is spot on.
    Great opening tee shot up by the clubhouse with the whole world right there watching.
    Funny how Riv and LACC are so commonly ranked about the same and they do have many similarities with the same designer and opening with back to back par 5s (both #2s changed to 4s) and a long par 3. LA is phenomenal but Riv is 18 a day for a year and never get tired of a thing. Except maybe the Kikuyu. Which the pros won't see so much of in winter.

2. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Desert Willow Firecliff at daybreak today. Holed my last putt at Woodhaven CC in the last glimmer of daylight (or maybe it was moonlight). Drove both ways today. Awesome day, but tired now.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    by
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

3. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm a big big fan of Desert Willow Golf Resort -- the courses, the restaurant, the practice facilities, the golf academy. And to think it is a muni!

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Another one of THOSE rounds yesterday -- 48-39.

And it included a most amazing shot (not counting the ace that was oh so damn close to happening): 153 yards, uphill, a 10-12 mph head/hook wind to a green with more rolls than tellafriend's avatar. So I club up to a 6i and aim outside the right edge, thinking my draw will be about right but forgetting about the crossing aspect of the wind. That mutha had to hook a good 35 yards, easily. It hit on top of a mound on the left side of the green and came to a dead stop. Better spin through Bridgestone. I zip balls all over the place but I've never seen anything like that.

#54 Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Gee, where could you be playing with a strong afternoon breeze?

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Hah! Just a normal puff around here. The next hole was playing 158 (the one I almost jarred) and hit 9i. We don't even blink until it hits 25 or 30. (God, as a life-long high-ball hitter I never thought I'd get so nonchalant about the wind.) How's your golf going????

7. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I played 54 holes (all three courses: two regulation, one par 3) at Sycuan today...by 1:08 pm! (In its previous life it was Singing Hills Resort.)

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Country club-like conditions, facility and pace! Plus that little valley it's in is so gorgeous. Gotta love it!

8. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    The Chairman
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    I used to play junior tournaments at Singing Hills way back when.

Super tight tree lined fairways for the most part were really tough. But it was always in pretty nice condition.

• Like Like x 1
  9. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I think I gotcha beat this morning: 46-36 at Westridge, including a TRIPLE BOGEY on the back nine! That back nine also included the closest I've come to an ace in years, about 5 inches from the cup on this hole:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I'll let you know after my son and I leave tomorrow at 5:30 AM to go to The Plantation and 36 holes of maximum bankroll (for us) of individual and team bets against our two member friends.
    I just spent an hour hitting short pitch and runs that were as good as I can do. However they were on poa, albeit very fast, and tomorrow is full grain bermuda.
    Playing a course carved out of straight rows of date palms is bizarre. Ok if you have to hit down the line. Crazy if you are at an angle. And balls actually stick into the trees. Really pretty course though.
    I will need some of Mark's energy on the last few holes. And 16,17, and 18 are brutal.