Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Golf 1.0

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I have seen the slow-play enemy, and it is he. Yep, men. I had a most enjoyable round last week in Indian Wells. My group powdered so as a single I told the shop to re-pair me as worked best. Kicking around the putting green I saw and listened to the usual male idiocy that precedes most any round, and as I always do, I was taking note as to with whom I did not want to get paired.

A group of five women asked if I'd take a few pictures and then we just started joking and chatting. Long story short they went off as a threesome and I joined the other two right behind. It was a slow day so I had an up-close view of my partners' games and the three ahead of us, and the play was variable -- from not so good to pretty damn impressive. We had a great time, they motored, they told great off-color jokes and they invited me to 19th hole drinks. When I get the chance to play with women, I love it, and not just because they're women, but because they are female golfers, and that makes them very different than most guys.

This isn't a once-off observation. I've been doing this stuff a very long time, playing golf even longer, and I play scores and scores of rounds every year as a singleton, all over the map. Women get the shit end of the stick in this game. Crappy deeouchebaguette men insisting on playing the tips bitch to high heaven about being paired with women or playing behind women, and I'd say north of 98% of the time the assholes on the course and the slow players on the course are men, regardless ability. Women have been most verily shamed, shunned and coerced into playing more quickly and with less extraneous crap, and by the way they don't appreciate the quips and sneers.

Why were we backed up? A group of four male golfers, of course.

Oh ...
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Tags:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    As long as they play fast, I don't care who I get paired with. I have played rounds with older women who couldn't hit more than 150. But you know what, (3) 150 yard shots and they are on the green waiting for me to quit doing Army golf (left, right, left), and I play quick.

Speaking of golf, I think I am ready to get off IR and hit the range and see how the ole body responds. Haven't swung the clubs in about 4+ months. First it was the elbow, then the back, then my shoulder - geez, I am tired of being injured!! But I must say, cortisone shots do wonders for the shoulder!

3. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Slow play kills the joy. I remember when I used to be able to get around in under 4 hours, but now I'm lucky if I spend less than 5.5. I've heard lots of theories why slot play has become part of the game, what do you think? My theory is the golf course mirrors society. People in general are much less considerate to their fellow man and that attitude made its way to the game we love.

Natalie is spot on in that article, pros need to be hit with two stroke penalties. Money talks, and that will burn their wallet. How does that help Joe Public though? I'm not a great golfer, but I pride myself on being fast and respecting the game. If someone is waiting behind my group, I'll do my best to light a fire under my playing partners. There is nothing worse than the oblivious asshole who is never ready to hit their shot in turn.

4. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm spoiled. everyone at my club plays really fast. so fast that several times I've been in a twosome walking finishing in 3:15 and been pushed by a foursome in carts.

then when I'm at Shadow I play by myself in 1.5 hours or with someone else in 2.5.

sitting on the tee on every shot is just so painful, I'd rather be at home.

5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Torrey. Not only is it (South) perhaps the most overrated course not otherwise named Prince at Princeville, it's a death march out there.

I've done the 36 in 3 thing in the desert, played Wynn once quite a bit short of two. My god, actually made it around Pebble once in four -- that was a miracle. You guys know I move it along but I also don't simply want to sprint around. With so many courses so much of it is the aesthetic, and I want to move but I also want to take it in. I'm pretty much able to avoid what passes for a rush at La Purisima or the club, going out when I want. I like that 3:30 or so pace walking 18 (and LP is a bit of a bitch of a walk). That's a good balance. Now moving aside so Jordan can sashay is narcissistic ass through, that's crap, but I ain't paying the bills so what can a girl say?

Veej, didn't we hoof around Sandpiper rather timely?

You want slow? Four fucktards playing a scramble in some local fundraiser. The San Andreas moves more quickly and consistently.

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes, you do. I thought I'd go to my grave w/o ever seeing anyone spend less time over the ball than me.

Can you get away midweek soon? I'll call M&M and see if we can't get that Rustic gig going, or maybe Olivas Links? GolfNow cheapie at Ojai?

7. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah, starting to slow down some so I can start the mid-week hooky again. Let me hit some balls a couple times to see how it goes.

8. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    That makes golf so much more enjoyable, and also easier to get in a rhythm and play well.

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Carts suck. They slow us down. They're toast when they put me in charge.

10. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    This is a complete shot in the dark here, but does anyone have a good source for Japanese golf equipment? They have some unique bags and clubs not offered in America. I found one retailer online but the kill you on shipping.