Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

First time ever had to cancel a trip - life turns on a dime.

Discussion in 'Vegas Meetups' started by Niteshade, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Niteshade

Niteshade
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    I usually plan my Vegas trips far in advance because of my work. The trip I had planned
    September 30th - October 4th was shorter notice than most for me in booking. In that I got
    lucky I guess.

Friday morning my wonderful Mother tripped coming back into her house from getting the mail
    and fell on her tile entryway. She lives in a large house by herself and is very self sufficient and
    has never fallen before. She just tripped and couldn't catch herself. She managed to get up,
    although the Dr. has no idea how, and call me.

Long story short - she has fractured all the ribs on her top left side and her pelvic cradle. We got
    her into the rehab hospital here that morning and she will be there for probably 3-4 weeks until she
    can move on her own again. Her left leg at the juncture of the pelvic bone is fractured really badly and
    her leg - at this time - won't work. I have no idea how she managed to get up and hop over to the phone.
    She is pretty amazing. I will be checking on her daily, taking care of her house with my Sister, her dog, and all
    of her bills, etc. until she is better. We are so lucky that the rehab hospital is within 1 mile of where we both drive
    in and out of town all day long. We can stop in easily night and day and check in with them and her.

We got so lucky that the director up there was a friend of the family - we got her in immediately. They are so great and she has a private room, private bath and will have PT and OT daily. But - since she is 86 years old - I still want to be there everyday to check on her. She was always there for us - I will not leave town again until she is up and running again.

I was also lucky I had booked this trip sort of last minute for me - I had no idea that if
    you had paid for your ticket with miles you had 1 year from date of booking to use it. So even though I
    am cancelling my September 30th trip to be here for her, I will still be able to use those points up until July 2017 with no penalty. It is evidently 1 year from the booking date. Not the date of the trip.

Sorry I won't be able to meet up with anyone in October like I had planned, but until Mom is better, I will
    not be leaving town.

Hope everyone here enjoys their trips and thankfully I can still read about all of them and stay in touch that way.

• Like Like x 1
  2. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    So sorry to hear about your Mom and the change in plans that situation has caused. I can relate somewhat as my 79 yo mother fell going out to the mailbox about 5 months ago and broke a small bone in her hand. She lives 4 hours away and dementia has really begun to take a prominent hold. The whole incident pushed us across the line to move her into an assisted-care facility, as she kept telling me she broke the bone "at school"! Sounds like your mom, though elderly, is in pretty good shape otherwise. I hope you enjoy many, many more years with her!

3. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow sorry to hear about your mom but sounds like she is one TOUGH cookie. Also dont worry about cxl your trip as we are all degenerats here and you will be back before you know it and meet a few of us then. I had to cxl my superbowl trip this past year. It just makes the thirst even more for the next trip you go on. Hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

4. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah, sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip, but you have to take care of what is important, and that is family!

Hope your Mom makes a speedy recovery!

5. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Family first! Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip.....our trip dates actually matched up.
    I had to cancel my August trip to care for my mother so I 100% understand.

6. Hoofy7

Hoofy7
    Expand Collapse
    AKA HeatherE

Vegas will still be there soon as your mama is on the mend! She's a strong lady! I'll miss seeing you but family should always come first and promise not to take all the money.

7. TexasLady

TexasLady
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your Mom and sending get well wishes to her. Vegas will always be there. Take care of your Mom.

8. Niteshade

Niteshade
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks all - I really appreciate it.
    I am going to be continuing to be optimistic about
    it all. She is such a sweetheart. The PT guy says she is
    trying so hard.

Thanks for the well wishes. I really appreciate it so much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gskier

gskier
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:

10. gskier

gskier
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she has a quick recovery

I also had to cancel my trip for this past weekend
    My Mom passed away on Sept 4 at 93. the last month we have been taking care of Dad he is 95 and they were married 65 yrs

Take care of your loved ones