Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Facts of Bankrolls

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by GlenBaccarat79, Jul 11, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

In my ventures which includes Atlantic City, Vegas, Connecticut, South Florida, Reno, Southern California and parts of the Midwest, I have made the following well observed, 3 decade plus long observation of.

It is enormously harder to win and walk away with a larger bankroll & your win money, as compared to a smaller one. All in proportion, once can say small from a few hundred to $1k as compared to $5k to $20k. Or one can say $3k to $10k as compared to $50k to $200k.

In my mind and experience, it is because we tend to 'plateau' out and go from there. I know my plateaus and I used to always gamble with those in mind, meaning if I didn't hit or get close to my previous win plateaus, there would be no way I would even consider stopping, winning or losing. Hence, many tilt sessions that were needlessly brought on my own ignorance and ego thinking I could do as well as my previous best sessions---each time.

I have witnessed and observed many more players in the 'smaller' bankroll categories by far, get up and walk away form the table calling it a session/day/trip--whatever than others winning larger amounts with larger bankrolls. The larger players tend to play on until they are bust, with a rare and I mean generally rare large win that they might get up and leave. Yes, the numbers would be trivial as compared to the smaller bankrolled players that do leave when they are up.

This is not meant to insult or accuse anyone here of anything. Just my observations and witnessing over the years. Experience and knowledge as to how dangerously easy and hard this game of baccarat actually is, will assist those with realistic expectations that can practice 100% patience and discipline each and every time.

#1 Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I think those with smaller bankrolls are happy with any win, whereas players with larger bankrolls don't consider winning $2000 a "win". It is all relative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I call a $2000 win breaking even as I will spend that much in tips by the end of a trip

4. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

Correct. I play locally anywhere from $1k to $5k, wagering $100 to $500 plus a hand at times. In Vegas or AC or a trip to Southern California, I would bankroll $25k to $50k or more and wagers $400-$500 to a few thousand as an average.

Of course more time playing/days will also add to the 'dangerous'. However, 20 wins of $2k equals a lot of cash to many.

5. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

But, one of my points is players winning $4k with a $2.5k or a $5k buy in can walk easier than a playing with a $100k buy in say winning $50k. I have seen it way too much to know.

6. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Of course because winning $4k is easier than winning $50k. Larger players are taking bigger swings so have more variance than smaller players grinding out a win

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JDVegas

JDVegas
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    First of all, I take no offense at all to your post ("This is not meant to insult or accuse anyone here of anything"), but your last example confuses me about what you are trying to say.

A player turning a $2K buy-in into $6K has tripled their money. The equivalent is a turning a $100K buy-in into $300K. Why does it strike you as odd (in your example I quote) that the high limit player who is up 50% of their buy-in would be less likely to take their winnings and walk away than the lower limit player who has more than doubled their buy-in?

I think all other things equal (bet size to bankroll, bankroll to wealth, level of degeneracy, etc), there is no difference other than scale. Whether one starts with $2K or $200K, they are just as likely/unlikely to walk away when they are up 50% or doubled their money, or whatever. Not walking away when you are up $50K is meaningless without context - i.e., if your average bet is $25K, that would mean you are only up 2 bets...

:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. tom4u

tom4u
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

I think a lot of players would be better off if they adjust their thinking to "betting units" within their bankrolls. Bankroll management and risk of ruin seems to be a concept that few want to learn about.

When we think in terms of the money amount, then it's obviously relative to that particular person. Combined with their level of degeneracy and gambling tolerance.

But in terms of betting units, people can walk away a lot easier.
    5k buy in and they walk away with 5k win. That's 100% double.
    for 100k buy in, winning 100k is the same thing if both players bet the same relative way.
    The difference is in how the players see the money in front of them.

**slow pony. Basically said same thing as JD above

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse

By theory you are right. However, it is harder for many of the 'larger' players to walk away, in proportion, to the frequency and readiness of what the smaller players will. Correct there is no differences mathematically other than the scale. But perhaps, what I observe is the level of desire/want/greed???

10. Way2fast

Way2fast
    Expand Collapse
    Baccarat Pro
    Founder's Club

This is the key -- JD nailed it. It has always been about scale as my unit size increased. When I was a $100 bettor, I counted everything in Units, and 1 unit=$100. Now when I bet $1,000 units, again, everything (stop loss, win goal, trailing-loss stop, etc) is measured in Units, not $$. Contrary to Glen's observation, I have found it MUCH EASIER to stop at my win goal with larger units than with smaller unit sizes. I take it as a good sign that maybe my experience is different than what Glen has observed from observing gamblers. Gambling is one business where you absolutely NEVER want to do what others are doing or follow the crowd, because the crowd loses. IMO, one always needs to played scared (not scared about throwing a big bet when called for, but scared of the cards turning just when you get too confident).

• Agree Agree x 2