Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

e' by Jose Andres at Cosmopolitan

Discussion in 'Grub' started by uncle__joe, Feb 22, 2016.

1. uncle__joe

uncle__joe
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Anyone been?

Going out in May for an early 40th birthday and got a reservation. I know it's not going to be cheap, but is it worth it? I think it's going to be cool to see the chefs in action. The pics on Yelp look very interesting. A little worried some of it may be over my head.

btw, the whole reservation process, is pretty stupid, in my opinion. Have to email, no more than 3 months in advance.

2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

I have heard nothing but good things but haven't been yet myself.

3. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    It's been a couple years since I've been to e, but it was one of the most enjoyable high-end dining experiences I've ever had. If you're up for a good time, I don't think you'll regret it. I ate there when it was only eight seats as a solo. It was fantastic. High-energy, very interactive, and superb food. It's really cool how accessible chefs are -- they plate every dish in front of you, allowing you to ask questions and provide feedback. The pace is quite quick -- I want to say 23-25 courses took about 2.5-3 hours. So fast-paced and really enjoyable. Memorable food. I don't think we even had utensils until course 10 or so.

It was a hoot sitting next to four guys from Domino's pizza (during the pizza convention ... a couple execs and a couple of their cheese suppliers -- one of whom intimated "all of our cheeses, at some point, are in powdered form") and a couple local dudes, one of whom was texting with Jim Belushi most of the night. Hilarious.

It came out to be about $350-$400 per person with the wine pairing. I found that the pace of the meal made the wine pairing superfluous -- like they were trying to keep up with the service too much. Next time, I'd get a bottle of champagne and then a bottle of food-friendly red.

What made the experience so cool was seeing molecular gastronomy, which so often is presented as magical and mysterious, presented in front of you ... peeling back that veil of mystery and seeing the techniques. I found it enlightening and enjoyable. I recommend it for anyone who's truly interested in fine food.

I always say about meals like this, accept the cost going into it. If you're not okay paying it, you're not going to have a good time because you'll agonize over whether it's "worth it." From an objective prospective, it's probably not. But if a great meal like this is something you enjoy, it's great entertainment and fuel for the body.

• Like Like x 3
  4. uncle__joe

uncle__joe
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Thanks for the input. I've read some people suggesting to split the wine pairing as it can become too much.

I'm not worried about the money, as a dollar amount, but more of a the value of it. There's more places that are known quantities that I could be guaranteed of an excellent meal for the same price (probably less). Sometimes I feel these top end restaurants try to do too much for the sake of it, and it's largely unnecessary, but then past the costs to guests.

Anyway, I'll post pics, when I get back.

5. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Look forward to hearing about your experience! From the standpoint of pure all-around experience ... e to me is unique in Vegas. And that's saying something. I've had great meals at L'Atelier, Joel Robuchon, and a bunch of others in Vegas ... plus three-star places like the French Laundry (many times), Alinea, etc., and e stands out as being very memorable. Probably among the three or five most memorable meals I've ever had. Just kick back and enjoy!

6. JeJas

JeJas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Great inside info!
    I am wondering, can you have special request for your meal?
    Probably I am not going to do it, but imagine I have otherwise-wasted resort credits I want to use and decide to try it there, can I make special requests to them? For me I have too many things (yes, too many) I don't/can't eat. I know it does't make any sense for me to try it, just curious.

7. dirtyshirley

dirtyshirley
    Expand Collapse
    aka JF3976
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes you can, when you make your reservation.

8. dirtyshirley

dirtyshirley
    Expand Collapse
    aka JF3976
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I ate there last May, solo, it was good I really enjoyed it. I took a bunch of pics. They are in my TR on VMB (my screen name was JF3976)

• Like Like x 1
  9. JeJas

JeJas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Oh, so you are Jennifer? I really love your trip reports!

10. dirtyshirley

dirtyshirley
    Expand Collapse
    aka JF3976
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I am! And thank you, that's sweet of you :) making me blush ;)