Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Drink suggestion

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by DaaaaaaBears, Jul 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NfB

NfB
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm really intrigued about trying a CR #2. I've seen this mentioned for awhile and has slipped my mind as a beverage to seek out. I'll be in Vegas soon- July 27-30, any places to suggest trying it other than Bouchon? For example would Cosmo be able to make at bar tops while I mash buttons? Although a trip to Bouchon for breakfast would not be shitty at all - I'm just very lazy when in vegas.

2. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I would like to know this also.

Tried to order one at The Henry last trip and the bartender looked like a deer in the headlights.

3. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Yeah, it's an old Prohibition cocktail that maybe isn't super trendy. But damn is it good. You can ask any place that has a really good craft cocktail list. If the bartender doesn't know, I always hesitate to order it. If they know it? It's usually pretty good. I'd say the one at Bouchon is worth the trip because it's absolutely spot on.

I've had some pretty crummy version of this drink, too ... sometimes they go too heavy on the absinthe, which makes it too bitter. Others have even used sweet and sour mix. The hiccup on ingredients is finding a place that has the Lillet Blanc. And I definitely would say don't let anybody make substitutions on ingredients.

4. 44inarow

44inarow
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    A decent bartender should be able to make it. It's old and not trendy, but is also one of the basic cocktails that people in the profession should know.

My go-to cocktail is an Aviation, which has somehow gotten a bit trendy lately, but for that one the stumbling block is the Maraschino; I can live without the Creme de Violette, even though that's non-regulation. If you really want to get a classic drink done right, head over to Herbs & Rye, which is probably the best cocktail bar in Vegas. I've also found that the day shift bartenders at Lift Bar can make just about anything (swing and graveyard are both too focused on volume, in my experience, and while they'll pour you a beer or make you a martini, you're probably not getting anything much more complicated than that). The bartender at Picasso is great as well, even though that's not a place I'd normally recommend just for drinks.